Wanta learn something about your hunting?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back to a spot you've had some success with and hunt the SAME 50 x 50 foot area. AND, do this AT LEAST 3 times and on different days!

I do tend to do a random hunt the first time, then the 2nd time, (if it's shown promise), I'll grid it out. But, I do tend to get a bit too rushed and start doing the old, "Too loud!" "Too Big!" "Can!" "Iron!" "definitely a pull tab!" type skips on signals. Lastly, the 3rd time through? I dig EVERYthing! (except a foil/canslaw/iron signal ;) ).

If you go back and do the absolute best you can each time, you'll learn something about your hunting habits and your machine. :)

I did this on purpose the last 3 times out. Here's what I found in the same exact spot, after 3 times!

Image72.jpg
Image73.jpg
Image74.jpg

Now, remember, I'm not a rookie. I know how to hunt. Even so, I STILL found these coins where I KNOW I had passed my coil before. Some of the signals I can even remember saying "foil!" and skipping. Some, I must've just swung the coil AROUND the spot the other times. The signals were too easy to totally miss.

Image75.jpg

Yep! Two Wheat toasts to go. 47 & 51-s
They were deep and gave a deep hit of 80.
Still, I'd been here many times!

Image76.jpg Image77.jpg

These two rides were particularly enlightening for me. I do recall skipping these because of it being surface/loud/obnoxious/iron/canslaw hits. I just did not feel like digging up another frigging can! ALL 3 TIMES!! LOL

Not only were they not any of that, they were BOTH in the same hole!! (A pocket vehicle spill?) :)

So, try it sometime. Go back to a spot you have ABSOLUTELY covered! Then, and this is important, don't just gloss over the area with assumption that you know there's nothing there. Do a few minutes serious, deep hunting. You might be surprised at what turns up.

I taught a friend of mine this lesson by following along behind him one day. Finding and showing him what he missed! LOL

Hope it helps someone.

Thanks for peeking!
HH!

Upvote 4

jtomlinson

Jan 3, 2013
Newport
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Garret pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome I will try that. thanks for sharing

tinman68

Aug 5, 2011
vp il
Primary Interest:
Other
must hunt yards at least 5 times 1 to cherry pick 3 times for junk last time for deep silver that's just how I think of it

happy hunting

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
must hunt yards at least 5 times 1 to cherry pick 3 times for junk last time for deep silver that's just how I think of it

happy hunting

Yep, 5 - 6 - 10 times is ok too. But, you'll begin to get the idea after just 3 or 4. It is surprising how much we miss/skip out there sometimes. If you try it on a spot you visit regularly, it will teach a few things. To anyone.

Thanks!
HH!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great advice... I know i've gone back to previously hunted spots and found several things that I missed. Plus, you learn that not everything is a solid tell all signal. coins on edge can give iffy signals... and I've found buttons that gave signals so bad that nobody would have dug them. The truth is you just never know. One time I got a zinc penny signal in a park that for some reason I decided to dig even though it was only 2 or 3 inches deep.... at 2 inches I pulled out a modern Jefferson nickel... and I said to myself "that doesn't seem right" and I re-scanned the hole. Directly below the nickel at about 6 or 7 inches was a nice barber dime. It pays to really hit areas hard and multiple times. Sometimes a perpendicular grid pattern from your previous grid will reveal more relics. Anyone who's ever had a signal that sounds good one way but not so good with a perpendicular swing has had that experience. You'll definitely learn more about what your detector is telling you if you do so. Nice post WHADIFIND. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And then go back and hunt it after a good soaking rain. It will be like a whole different site!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes a perpendicular grid pattern from your previous grid will reveal more relics. Anyone who's ever had a signal that sounds good one way but not so good with a perpendicular swing has had that experience. You'll definitely learn more about what your detector is telling you if you do so. Nice post WHADIFIND. :thumbsup:

Thanks and you make an excellent suggestion that I forgot to mention. Try different directions. Perpendicular is a good staple. But, also try going from corner to corner and in an arc within your area.

Different directions, soil conditions, moisture, angle of the coil, they ALL give their own add.

HH!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is valuable advice ! I too have experienced good finds from ground that I was convinced I had already exhausted.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ONE example- MDing since '83. My own yard still gives up coins. 100 x 50' lot w a house. Checked every inch when I first started. No test garden-but check out every new detector and every new coil right here. Ok- so some of that is from the kids growing up--but not Indians or deep wheats.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good thoughts. Even a moderate rain can change readings. A hunting friend told me this a lomg time ago, "It's all about your coil going across that target just right". HH, Quindy.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to do the same thing. First thing I do when I get to a new site is work it over with the discrimination one high "coin mode" one my Garrett gti. Real quick I can tell if its been hit hard or not. I guess that comes from experience. Then if Im making good finds like the case of the BSA camp I found this summer, that it has not been worked over hard I'll hit all the good areas were people were mostly at. Then I work into the less used areas from there. Not to sound greedy but part of my reason why I "cherry pick" it like that is fear some one else is going to md the spot. Also why I don't dig everything at once is I don't want to put 500 holes in a 50'x50' area of grass. People don't seem to like that to much. Then when I feel I have found most of the easer stuff I will start digging everything. Lots of different things play in to it. What direction your swinging the coil, is the ground dry or wet how trashy is the area. I agree still in the end it is best to try and dig everything but not at once if it is in a grass/ lawn area.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Thanks for the reminders & tips! :icon_thumright: Most of my son's & my best finds have been where we've detected several times before, including finding severl gold rings & big silver coins where we've gridded before!

One way I detect large beaches has been very helpful to me --- instead of gridding, I plunk down my backpack and detect in slowly-increasing circles around it --- for me, it's much easier to keep track of what I've covered by moving in circles on sand than trying to grid; also, circles let me keep a constant eye on my backpack in case a passerby has sticky fingers. HAVE FUN! Andi

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head phones and a small coil work too.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks for the advice.. I'm willing to try anything to improve my results..

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you, I have done the same spots many times over and it seems that I had missed quite a few items. I detected my parents yard ( its small ) repeatedly. As time went by, I dug even the poor targets. May times good items would be found. I would say that I missed 2 silver dimes at least 8 times until I finally dug them up.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'm going to give that a try, makes allot of sense to me.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reminders & tips! :icon_thumright: Most of my son's & my best finds have been where we've detected several times before, including finding severl gold rings & big silver coins where we've gridded before!

One way I detect large beaches has been very helpful to me --- instead of gridding, I plunk down my backpack and detect in slowly-increasing circles around it --- for me, it's much easier to keep track of what I've covered by moving in circles on sand than trying to grid; also, circles let me keep a constant eye on my backpack in case a passerby has sticky fingers. HAVE FUN! Andi

Here's one I do in grassy areas. Instead of picking up my feet and walking, I sort of shuffle them along. For a bit, when you look back, you can see where you've been. It's funny sometimes, you think you're making a nice tight grid and then you see where you actually walked! No wonder I miss stuff! LOL

HH!

JimmeyC

Oct 15, 2012
N. Tonawanda, Amherst, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Ultra GTA 1000, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice WhadIfind... LOL, Sounds exactly how I hunt. I found a 14k white gold wedding band and 2 buff's yesterday in an area I have gone over several times... The ring hit 6-12 on the etrac... I know I passed it thinking "canslaw". I think a lot depends on our mood, time, ect. I just keep working it deeper into the trashy area and always come out with something nice!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice WhadIfind... LOL, Sounds exactly how I hunt. I found a 14k white gold wedding band and 2 buff's yesterday in an area I have gone over several times... The ring hit 6-12 on the etrac... I know I passed it thinking "canslaw". I think a lot depends on our mood, time, ect. I just keep working it deeper into the trashy area and always come out with something nice!

Yep, mood and time are both important factors. If we're sure there's nothing there, it'll just be an exercise outing. It also causes scratched coins. We're in a hurry to get this tab out of the way. Not as careful, ya know?

The funny thing is, after we've cleaned EVERYTHING out and hits are extremely rare. Along comes a grader, takes off the first foot of ground and the whole thing starts over! :)

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread