Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Back in December I dug the 1893 IHP pictured below, but I gave it to the homeowner (along with another IHP I found) because he had two young boys and I thought they would enjoy the old coins. (I didn't even clean it off further, but you can see that it was a really nice one).

The homeowner later told me that the boys didn't care about the IHP's, and he said he'd be happy to give them back to me - but then he explained that he couldn't find them in his house.

I'm hoping to locate an 1893 IHP in similar condition and with the green patina that they get when being found detecting.
I could buy a brown one from the auction sites, but I'm hoping to find a green one.

Does anyone happen to have one that they aren't attached to that has the green patina?
If so, please message me so we can talk about how I could purchase it.

Thanks!

Brian
mvoSPpF.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first 1800s coin was an 1898 IHC and when I showed the landowner my finds, he said he would like to have the penny:BangHead:so I left there with my head down and went and bought a same year Indian thinking it would make up for it and perhaps convince me that it was a replacement that I would feel the same about. Well it just was not the same and never could be.....and eventually many more old coins came out from under my coil.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you gentlemen, and water nut thank you for your offer.

Villagenut I'll share a bit more of my situation: I've only been "relic" detecting for about 2 years; before that it was just beach detecting with my son. I live in a historic New Jersey town in Morris County, home to George Washington and his troops for 2 years during the Revolution, so I started hunting some local spots. When I started finding some very exciting things at a local farm - old buttons (including some dandy's and a Royal Navy button from the 1700s) and old coins (KG1, KG3, Large Cents) - I shared the stories and pictures on our local Facebook page for the local residents; they loved it. Hundreds of reactions and dozens of comments about each post.
I explained in my stories that my agreement with the farm owner was that I would give him everything I found; his family has owned the farm for over 100 years, and what I found actually means something to him and to his family. So from my Facebook posts I got offers to detect at other great locations in town - as long as I gave the homeowner what I found. And that's actually how I ended up feeling that I had to offer the homeowner that 1893 IHP.
His home is the same property where I found my first gold ring, described here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-gold-hefty-ring-liberty-seated-dime-too.html
Final note: I've gotten to know the original farmer well enough that now we have a dialog about whether he actually wants what I find, and he's offered some of my best finds back to me. It turns out his 11 year old daughter loves the buttons, so I make sure to give her those - and put together a nice little display of the Royal Navy button and 2 others found that day.
RBCSl7c.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a pretty good gig there.....as long as you have your own spots where you keep it all. Word of mouth permissions like that are great....but what if you found a GW button, would that go to the 11 year old as non-negotionable.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you have a pretty good gig there.....as long as you have your own spots where you keep it all. Word of mouth permissions like that are great....but what if you found a GW button, would that go to the 11 year old as non-negotionable.

I’ve wondered that same thing about a GW button...

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tell the home owners if they want the coin I'll pay them 50% of what the coin shop will.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions