Wanted, No need for discrimination, easy to use, which detector is best

wreckrat

Jan 23, 2009
Im after a detector under $500 which is very easy to use, has good depth. It doesnt need discrimination at all as I will dig every target as the location has no trash. I see some like the silverumax and compadre are very cheap and simple. What benefits over those has something like the golden umax of fischer F5? I would prefer just turn on and go and dont want something I have to muck about with ground balancing etc.
any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wreckrat,

I am one of the Compadre's biggest fans out there. I absolutely love that machine.

But I am not going to recommend the Compadre in your case. The Compadre has a 5.75" coil (sorry, we're not using metric here in the States ;D) that is hardwired to the unit, so it is not interchangeable. While that coil is great in trashy areas, you are not going to get depth in excess of 6" in most cases.

And depth is what you said you were looking for.

For $500.00 or less, I am going to recommend you check out the Tesoro Silver uMax with the optional 12" coil. Now by means of disclosure, I have not used this particular set up, but there have been many members of this forum who have and they all consistently say what amazing depth it gets, rivalling detectors that are much mor expensive. This is especially true if you're running it in "ALL METAL" mode, as you said you intend to do.

I would search this forum for the posts regarding the Silver uMax 12" coil combo as there are several.

The cost of both the detector and the coil upgrade should come in under $500 easily.

Good luck on your final choice. :icon_thumleft:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're in Australia then you're probably going to have to go with something that you can manually ground balance if you want to get any depth out of it. Minelabs are designed for that type of soil. Get a new X-Terra 505, or even better, a used 705, or possibly a Sovereign.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 500.00 and for maximun depth I would get a detector that has a manual ground balance in all metal mode such as the Tesoro Vaquero. Silver uMax has all metal but no manual ground balance. Later on if you want to hunt for other stuff and need some discrimination then you can do that too.

bradsguns

Jul 5, 2007
Shell Knob, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero
If you are going up to $500 in a dig everything, I too would go with a Tesoro Vaquero. Absolutely simple, effective & DEEP !! Tesoro also has the best warranty in the business...cant be beat for a "dig everything" hunter, which I am as well.
Good Luck,
Brad

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say the Tesoro Vaquero . That would be the best buy for the money you are wanting to spend !

OP
OP
W

wreckrat

Jan 23, 2009
Thanks for the replies. Its not for use in Australia but for use in Greece. We're using it in all metal because it will be used on an archaeological dig and they will want to locate everything, there is no modern junk on the site. Is the Vaquero All metal or zero discrimination? Also, does coil size effect depth? Bigger is better??
Also, I have a Minelab Excalibur how would the Vaquero or Silver Umax compare to that for depth and sensitivity?
Thanks again.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wreckrat said:
Thanks for the replies. Its not for use in Australia but for use in Greece. We're using it in all metal because it will be used on an archaeological dig and they will want to locate everything, there is no modern junk on the site. Is the Vaquero All metal or zero discrimination? Also, does coil size effect depth? Bigger is better??
Also, I have a Minelab Excalibur how would the Vaquero or Silver Umax compare to that for depth and sensitivity?
Thanks again.
The Excal is much deeper than those you mention but it won't respond to iron except in Pinpoint ( all Metal) If you are looking for all metal objects you need a Pulse Induction detector for your dig. They are the deepest.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wreckrat said:
Im after a detector under $500 which is very easy to use, has good depth. It doesnt need discrimination at all as I will dig every target as the location has no trash. I see some like the silverumax and compadre are very cheap and simple. What benefits over those has something like the golden umax of fischer F5? I would prefer just turn on and go and dont want something I have to muck about with ground balancing etc.
any advice appreciated.
Thanks
You just answered your own question.

Tesoro anything, LIFETIME WARRANTY

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F5 is a GREAT coin machine. It does have a ground balance feature though. Fisher F2, Teknetics Alpha or Tesoro line is about as simple to use as you can get.

OP
OP
W

wreckrat

Jan 23, 2009
Ok Im still habing trouble finding a dealer to ship the Vaquero to Australia. How about the Whites GMZ? Anyone had experience with that? How would it compare with the Vaquero? Seems its suitable for what we need as its all metal and very simple to use so it may be the choice if we are unable to get the Vaquero. Thanks for all the good advice so far.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wreckrat said:
Ok Im still habing trouble finding a dealer to ship the Vaquero to Australia. How about the Whites GMZ? Anyone had experience with that? How would it compare with the Vaquero? Seems its suitable for what we need as its all metal and very simple to use so it may be the choice if we are unable to get the Vaquero. Thanks for all the good advice so far.

If you can get a White's I'd seriously recommend looking at the Sierra Madre. The cost is under $500, it offers no discrimination, so you are hunting all metal all the time, and there is no hand held detector made by anyone that I am aware of that goes deeper. Even White's themselves say your depth can exceed 24" with the stock coil.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The Silver uMax with 12x10 concentric coil (often can be had used cheap) is a killer machine in many soils. I dug nickles in landfill areas up to the 10 inch deep range with this rig. I found an Indian cent in my own yard with this combo. I have hunted my yard hundreds of times over the last 20 years. I walked to one place where I always hunt it and got a nice solid beep. I used a full sized shovel because my wife wasn't around. It took 3 good turns with that shovel to reach it. I was shocked.

My last Silver I bought used I got from a guy on another forum for $125 shipped (As I recall). I got the 12x10 coil for like $80.

The Silver uMax and all the Tesoro machines are no-nonsense detectors. They are stable as a rock and super easy to use.

But as stated by several, the Minelab machines are probably about the deepest of all VLF machines. But there is a learning curve and at first they usually mean lots of empty holes.

OP
OP
W

wreckrat

Jan 23, 2009
Thanks guys. Ive looked at the Sierra Madre and yes it is good for depth but I was under the impression its more for larger objects. Thats why I was interested in the GMZ as its a gold machine and good for very small objects. Last years dig we were finding small items like fishhooks etc. Would love to have both machines :) Also still having trouble finding a dealer in the US who can ship a whites or Tesoro to Australia. Time is running out and we wish to purchase now.

OP
OP
W

wreckrat

Jan 23, 2009
Arrrgghh!!! This is driving me nuts trying to decide.

Tesoro Vaquero:
+ lots of recommendations, good machine by the sounds of it.
- Lots of dials which might confuse the archies as they have no experience. We really dont need discrimination or pinpointing at all.

Tesoro Compadre:
+ very simple to use, all metal, cheap
- not sure how it compares to the others for depth

Whites Sierra Madre:
+ all metal and DEEP, auto ground balance, deep large objects might mean it could help find statues and other tin can and up sized stuff.
- might not find small objects, im not sure is it able to find small coins, fish hooks etc at shallow depths AND find larger stuff 5ft deep???

Whites GMZ
+ easy to use all metal
- not sure if it will find other metal objects? Its a gold detectror, will it do ok with other small stuff?? Its 50khz is that only for gold?? Most of the stuff we found last year was small cois and small lead or bronze bits

Any help much appreciated. The more I look at detectors the more confused im getting what would be best for our intended use.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro. GREAT relic machine or for those that don't mind digging everything.

I take it back!!! When did they get to be $700????? I paid $200 for mine used when they were $499 new. :-[

Great deal if you can find a used one. They are rugged.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wreckrat,

Pulling the trigger is one of the hardest things in the world to do.

Just remember this: no matter how much time you investigate, ponder, examine, contemplate, argue, pray, debate, research, or test, any detector you buy will exceed your expectations in some areas and perform less well than you thought in others.

Thems the breaks.

No machine you pick will perfect. Absolutely none. I know you're trying to come as close as possible. I'd do the same thing.

Don't burn yourself out. Go with your gut. Pull the trigger.

And have fun. :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions