Other
Upvote 0

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Squid,
Same here. New at this and want to get started. I'm in Northern Calif, and will have to wait a couple months though. There's still winter storms up where I want to go.

How much homework have you done yet? Just the research? Have you bought a pan or sluice box yet? Me, I'm still researching as I have the time. But if the snows were clear, I'd be up there. I've bought my panning kit (Garrett's) I've made a gold sucker out of PVC and am tinkering with a sluice box also. Don't think I'll take it with me though, as I'll be backpacking around the Sierra Nevada's. The pan and gold sucker will be fine.

Have you got an area picked out already? I used Google Earth with a PLSS addon so I could find out if anyone had mining claims on the areas I wanted to try. I think this will work, though I'll double check at the county just to be sure nothing has been filed recently. I think that as long as you're not on someone's property, or claim, then just have at it. It's the legal issues that scare me. Seems everything is owned, controlled or regulated by someone. I just want to go out and do some panning.

I'll be following this thread. Hope some old timer's will stop in and put us straight. :)

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome guys! - as noobies that sound like you're not interested in joining clubs at this time, get on out there (weather permitting) and get to digging, but be prepared to get run off by claimowners. Squid, get what sidvail's got, and sidvail, get one size smaller classifier. Maybe a spoon and screwdriver for crevicing.
After you see your first specks of gold, highly recommend clubs to show you the ropes!

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fullpan,
I wondered about that classifier. So go with a smaller mesh? I like that.

I've got a couple of crevicing tools. And I do see myself poking around alot, so I'm thinking of a small pry bar (extra large screwdriver?) But I'll be backpacking, so I'm still thinking of my weight limits.

Was I right about the PLSS and checking claims? Have to say, it's the claim issue that I'm most unsure about. Don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suggest each of you start in a recreation area such as the east fork of the San Gabriel River in SoCal and Bears River Recreation area near the town of Colfax in NorCal. You can ask about other similar spots at your local prospecting supply shop too.

Do this instead of spending a bunch of time worrying about claims,etc.

Mine it and recycle it!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Kevin said, two "open" areas around Colfax (Bear and the Auburn Rec. Area on NF American), also SF Yuba River Rec. Area about ten miles NE of Grass Valley. Further up hwy49 is Indian Valley campground (very convenient place to pan) about 15 miles dowstream from Downieville(NF Yuba). Yes, a smaller
mesh will get gold faster(less material to work), pry bar is good, if you make to the Yuba watershed, I suggest you try a little mossing on the shady side(usually
south side) the higher, drier, brown colored moss is best. Its suprising how much flood, fine gold gets trapped there. I like that you have tried to research
claims, but its just too complex an issue for a guy just starting out. After ten years of experience, when prospecting new areas, I always took Joyce along
as a "shill" to break the ice with claimowners - woman had the "gift of gab" - know what I mean? Good luck and you can never take enough pics!

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay,
I kinda thought I was being over cautious about the claim thing - but again, I want to start out on the right foot. Never a bad idea to learn what ever you can about anything.

I'll worry less about it now though that I've heard some advice. After all it's about getting out there and having some fun, right? I'm sure that if I end up on someones claim, they'll let me know. Hopefully with a wave and a hello. :)

I plan on visiting a couple of the free pan areas as I'm able. They're not terribly far. I was going to hit the hills between Napa and Vacaville as they are close enough to visit quickly, but have found no reports of gold ever being found there. Farther north around Callistoga was active at one time, but very little recovered from what I hear. Yeah, definitely want to get up around Placerville and Grizzly Flats. I just love that area. I'm spending a few months up there this summer, so want to take advantage of my location. Alot of backpacking and camping. As much panning as I can stand.

It will be a blast.

Do you think I'd find anything in the hills around Napa Valley? I can get to those now. Think I'll take a drive up into the hills. Never hurts to dig up a bucket of gravel right? Need the practice anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread