WAR NICKELS QUESTION ABOUT MINT MARKS

idothisforfun

Mar 14, 2007
Ohio
1 more question,

Can someone help. I am looking threw my early 40's nickels are the silver nickels only the ones with the large mint mark over the Monticello, or can someone please help, also can cool cash add that to the beginners guide. I only ask because I refrence it a LOT and I am sure others do also, and it would help people out a lot searching nickels,
Thanks
Tim

Upvote 0

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Only the silver war nickels have the large mint mark over Monticello. There are also non-silver 1942 nickels that have the standard mint mark for the D (No mint mark for Philadelphia).

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idothisforfun said:
1 more question,

Can someone help. I am looking threw my early 40's nickels are the silver nickels only the ones with the large mint mark over the Monticello, or can someone please help, also can cool cash add that to the beginners guide. I only ask because I refrence it a LOT and I am sure others do also, and it would help people out a lot searching nickels,
Thanks
Tim
That is correct. ONLY the silver ones will have the large mintmark above the monticello, and the silver ones will all have the large mintmark. Basically, if it has a large mintmark, it is silver (unless it is an error coins then it is worth some major bux), if it does not it is not silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread