OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I am telling you there were two more Thomas J. Beall's. One an uncle of Thomas J. Beall lived in Cumberland, Maryland. The Thomas J. Beall that buried the treasure in Bedford County, Virginia was from Beallsville, Pennsylvania. They spelled their name with two "L's" instead of "LE" but if you make the last letter "E" a little taller than normal it becomes an "L"
Can you document this,or is this just speculation?
Zephaniah W Beall,founder of Beallsville,Pennsylvania
http://iagenweb.org/ringgold/biographical/files/bio-beallz
Ninian Beall ,Maryland family list
Five Families Beall of Maryland compiled by Elizabeth B. Heterick from the LDS film 0984060 (I created this index)
http://home-netcom.com/~fzsaund/beall.html

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's what I think you will eventually workout......the whole "Beale/Beall" issue is very misleading and confusing as far as who was actually who. I noticed this first in New Orleans.

At this point I think Franklin is correct when he claims that a Beale party went west, however, I think that party's source was much different then what he thinks it to be. A Captain Thomas Beall, said to be of Harper's Fairy, can even be placed on one of the vessels transporting the French refugees. So, if we use the timeline that ECS posted earlier and we add a few more points of interest to it then it might look something like this:

1816- Laffite occupies Galveston Island.
1817- APRIL,Beale expedition travels west and finds gold and some silver and works mine for 18 months until Oct 1818.Beale Sr-53,Beale Jr 17,during 1817.
1817- Vine & Olive Land Grant is approved.
1817- A Captain Thomas Beale/Beall is aboard a vessel transporting French refugees.
1817- French Refugees from New Orleans begin to arrive at Galveston Island
1818- Adam’s Onis Treaty is signed. Graham visits Texas. Lallemand leaves with Graham and fails to carry out his promise to return.
1819-According to Beale cipher,Beale makes first deposit in Virginia.
1820-Sept-Beale Sr dies in New Orleans,age 56.
1821- Beale (Jr?) spends winter at Washington Hotel and gives Morriss iron box with ciphers.
1821- Adam’s Onis Treaty is ratified.
1821- Laffite leaves Galveston.
1821-According to Beale cipher,Beale makes 2nd deposit in Virginia.
1822-Beale(Jr?) returns to Washinton Hotel and spends the winter.
1823- Monroe Doctrine introduced on December 2.
1823-Oct-Beale Jr dies in New Orleans,age 24.
1829/30 – The Laffites & Joseph Boneparte are in Richmond for nearly a year. While there Joseph Boneparte writes President Monroe a letter inquiring about payments received for services rendered, Monroe replies “utterly” denying the claim. (The Monroe letter still survives while Boneparte’s letter seems to have disappeared for the time being?)

But there is also a lot more to all of this.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
1.All is on documents. Zephaniah Beall was not only the founder of Beallsville, Pennsylvania, he owned a substantial track of land in Washington, D.C. some of which the White House sits on today. 2. Zephaniah had a son named Zephaniah Jr. that was TJB's brother. 3. Zephaniah Jr.'s daughter married one of the scouts of the Beall Party----Stephen Cooper. 4. His brother Braxton and Benjamin Cooper were the three guides for the Beall Party. 5. Also genealogy proves that James Purcell and his three brothers were half-brothers to TJB as they had the same mother.
1. I have studied the land records of Zephaniah W Beall,they do not agree with this statement.Please cite your source.
2.Zephaniah W Beall had a son named Thomas,not TJB.
3.Kezia Beall did marry Stephen Cooper
4. Stephen Cooper was the son of Thomas Cooper who had 4 children,2 girls-Armfield(b.1768),Alice(b.1770),and 2 sons,Duckett(b.1775)and Stephen(b.1777).
5.What was the name of the Purcell's mother?Which Beall was she married to?
Franklin,there seem to be many Bealls/Beales and several theories on this thread.They all can be plausible,but not all can be right.I appreciate your imput as well as Bigscoops and Rebel-KGC,and maybe somewhere,in all of this,we all may find an answer.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think, after many years of researching this mystery, it's best to put the focus/subject of Thomas Beale/Beall aside, just too much confusion as to who was who and old records only seem to complicate this issue even further. Just too much conflicting info.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the version of the DOI in the Beale Pamphlet presents an interesting subject that needs to be investigated a bit further, might offer some additional insight into things.

In regards to the Louisiana Purchase, there were two areas sighted by the French as being huge blunders by the officials in Washington after the purchase;
A) the failure to promote/allow French colonization,
B) the failure to explore for rich mineral wealth.

Ironically, the French refugees were engaged in both during the period in question. In the southwest you have Galveston Island and Camp de Asile, and in the west/northwest you had what is now referred to as the Beale Party.

"Construct, explore, colonize".......this is what I have always phrased as being the, "Big Picture".

The version of the DOI in the Beale Pamphlet is being presented to us with purpose. As for the mention of 1862 in the Beale Pamphlet, "In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza SeguĂ­n.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][11]"[/SUP]

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
WHOLE LOT OF BEALLS/BEALES GOING ON!

Keziah Offut Pritchard Purcell Beall
There are two Keziah Offutt Beall's,from Maryland,and similar names of children appear in both.
Keziah Offutt Odell Pritchard Beall-b.1734,Maryland.
Married Thomas Odell,1754,children-Baruch,Eleanor,Sarah
Married William Pritchard,1760,children-William,James,Mary,Jane
Married Zephanial Beall,1767,children-Zephanial,THOMAS,Rezin,Anne
http://www.theharmons.us/harmon_t/b1465.htm
Keziah Offutt Beall-b.1797,Maryland.
Parents Zephanial Beall and Margaret Crawford
Children-Zephanial,THOMAS,Reason,Parker,James,KEZIAH OFFUTT,Elizabeth,Maria
http://www.theharmons.us/harmon_t/b128.htm
The name PURCELL does not appear in either geneaology,but James Purcell is mentioned in Kit Carson's memoirs:
"The southwest spelled SANTE FE that far Mexican metropolis of the "Spanish Settlements",Pike had reported upon it;in 1806 he had found there one JAMES PURCELL(or Pursley),an American from Kentucky already domiciled"
-"KIT CARSON DAYS(1809-1868)",Col Christopher Carson,Published c.1914 A C McClurg & Co,Chicago
What I found interesting going through Pa,Md,Va Beall/Beale/Bell geneaology records,many similar first names appear in all all of them.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Thomas Beale/Beall, etc." trail is loaded with too many similarities and uncertainties. Add to this that the spelling of last names often took on change, either by choice or through misspellings when being recorded, suddenly Beale becomes Beall or Beal, etc. The problem here is that all of these names can found during the era accompanied by a "Thomas" and even a "Thomas J."......I don't think it can ever be fully sorted out.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, as an example, my sister's birth certificate, (she's now 61) shows her being born in Matinsville, which isn't even close to where she was actually born at. Recently I just had to address an issue with the social security office because their records showed me being born in the wrong year. Point is, errors and mistakes are common place even today.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, as an example, my sister's birth certificate, (she's now 61) shows her being born in Matinsville, which isn't even close to where she was actually born at. Recently I just had to address an issue with the social security office because their records showed me being born in the wrong year. Point is, errors and mistakes are common place even today.
That is very true.The same thing happened to my wife with the SS.
Also,during WWII,the army changed the spelling of my fathers last name by dropping a letter,but the name had gone through many changes since the time my ancestors where colonists at New Amersterndam in the 1600's.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That is exactly what I did, I stopped looking for the people in the story. I went by an original source of the treasure and that was Newton Hazelwood in the early 1890's. Two men later became treasure hunters in Bedford County worked for Hazelwood in the Roanoke, Virginia Railroad Office. I went by their story, their work and their research and I believe I have located the treasure vault. Problem though is the land is posted and trespassers will be shot on sight. I went in there two separate times not as a trespasser but someone that could be killed on sight. I located what I believe is the treasure vault. I am in the process of trying to recover several other large treasures when I recover just one of them-------I will purchase that property no matter the cost. The property ties into what Clayton Hart was looking for but did not find. I found it.

I agree with franklin on this; Hazlewood IS the KEY. Hart/Hazlewood Ciphers are better as a RUSE; What REALLY happened is indicated; along with MANY other "clues" found LOCALLY...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep in mind that as far any possible treasure recovery, the supposed Beale Treasure would be pretty much a non-profit venture if it ever was found. At best, and because of the rightful owners names listed in C3, the discoverer of such a treasure would only be legally entitled to the stated one share, this not even being enough to pay for all the legal services that would be required upon the discovery. You would be better off turning it over to the authorities and then settling for book and possible movie rights. Or, you could try to go old school and when caught then the rest of your life would be in ruins to your last breath.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would not have to give shares to the names in Beale C3 because they would have to prove their decipherment and their relationship to the decyphered. The government has nothing to do with treasure as this is not government property.

It would have nothing to do with the government, it has to do with law. Just because you found it doesn't mean you own it, especially in this case since the story itself establishes it as being a will, to which the finder is only entitled to one share. Your problem is that upon discovery the story would then be proven to have been true. The courts would make sure that every effort was made to identify all of the names on that list and that all the descendents were searched for and notified, which could take years with the process costing a fortune. Check with any lawyer, they will explain it all to you. The men on that list, if they had acuired the wealth legally, were the rightful owners and their wishes have been stated. Doesn't matter that it took 125 for someone to figure it all out, the story still establishes and presents a directive to a will.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You would not have to give shares to the names in Beale C3 because they would have to prove their decipherment and their relationship to the decyphered. The government has nothing to do with treasure as this is not government property.

VERY true!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It would have nothing to do with the government, it has to do with law. Just because you found it doesn't mean you own it, especially in this case since the story itself establishes it as being a will, to which the finder is only entitled to one share. Your problem is that upon discovery the story would then be proven to have been true. The courts would make sure that every effort was made to identify all of the names on that list and that all the descendents were searched for and notified, which could take years with the process costing a fortune. Check with any lawyer, they will explain it all to you. The men on that list, if they had acuired the wealth legally, were the rightful owners and their wishes have been stated. Doesn't matter that it took 125 for someone to figure it all out, the story still establishes and presents a directive to a will.

SO! WHAT are we looking for...? RAW Gold, RAW Silver, some Jewelry...? HA! NO proof of ownership... ANYONE can "claim" it!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO! WHAT are we looking for...? RAW Gold, RAW Silver, some Jewelry...? HA! NO proof of ownership... ANYONE can "claim" it!

You fellas really need to consult an attorney. :laughing7: But dosen't matter anyway. Not an issue until it would actually be found so let's get back to discussing those possibilities, etc. :icon_thumleft:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a little law-----A "Will" has to be notarized for it to be legal. Any contract has to be notarized to be legal. First, problem is someone solving C3 ----- has not been solved in 128 years at least to anyone's satisfaction. Next is to prove relationships as a claimant. Three ever whom gets the courts to investigate their claim will have to pay the court not the treasure finder. Fourth the courts do not do any investigating. Fifth proving relationship is the claimant's responsibility not the courts. Sixth, the courts our own US Government is not in the treasure business.

Franklin, I know this area of the law well. You're just guessing/hoping/assuming, etc., from the finder's point of view. Go see an attorney, deal in facts so you'll know exactly what to expect should the time ever come. The minute any treasure discovery is connected to the Beale story it opens up a whole knew world within the law. Enough said, assume what you wish. And if what you posted is from an attorney, go get one that has actually passed the bar. :laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

AGAIN! RAW Gold, RAW Silver, & some JEWELRY...? BC # 3 is QUESTIONABLE! NO Wills are indicated...

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGAIN! RAW Gold, RAW Silver, & some JEWELRY...? BC # 3 is QUESTIONABLE! NO Wills are indicated...

A will was indicated. A type of living will. As soon as Morriss accepted the box and the terms he became the executor of the detailed wishes that have been clearly outlined in the story. If he became unable to carry out the agreement he was then to choose another in his place, which he did. It's all printed in black and white in the Beale Pamphlet story. You do not have to possess a written contract to enact a legally enforceable binding agreement. All that is required is that you can prove the agreement was made. But again, doesn't matter either way at this point other then preparedness.

"AGAIN! RAW Gold, RAW Silver, & some JEWELRY...? BC # 3 is QUESTIONABLE!"
Actually #3 is only questionable as far as the exact language, there is no question as to what it is suppose to contain. As far as what type of treasure supposedly made up the contents of the treasure, it says gold and silver and diamonds. Other then for possible transportation issues, it would do little good to know the exact weight of the unprocessed material, not to mention that the size of the shipments would take on entirely new dimensions.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
A will was indicated. A type of living will. As soon as Morriss accepted the box and the terms he became the executor of the detailed wishes that have been clearly outlined in the story. If he became unable to carry out the agreement he was then to choose another in his place, which he did. It's all printed in black and white in the Beale Pamphlet story. You do not have to possess a written contract to enact a legally enforceable binding agreement. All that is required is that you can prove the agreement was made. But again, doesn't matter either way at this point other then preparedness.

"AGAIN! RAW Gold, RAW Silver, & some JEWELRY...? BC # 3 is QUESTIONABLE!"
Actually #3 is only questionable as far as the exact language, there is no question as to what it is suppose to contain. As far as what type of treasure supposedly made up the contents of the treasure, it says gold and silver and diamonds. Other then for possible transportation issues, it would do little good to know the exact weight of the unprocessed material, not to mention that the size of the shipments would take on entirely new dimensions.

LOL! Only the ORIGINAL copy of "said wills" would be accepted; all WE have are COPIES from the books & "NET"... HA!
GOOD LUCK in "enforcing" THAT! Even seen one "fake will" on the "net" somewhere...
AGAIN! RAW Gold, Raw Silver, some Jewelry from St. Loo...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread