Warning about potential Scam

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a new member named "skool," and as of right now he has 4 posts. He sent me a personal message asking if I have any used detectors for sale, and I answered him "No." Then I got this PM back.

"i thought that u could help a person in the desert of africa to find his way and his work to be a good person for is family and his society
any way thanks"

The Mods might want to look into this guy, but to me it sounds like one of those money scams from Nigeria. I got several of those in the past, and now it looks like there might be a new angle. So be careful out there, lots of people want your money.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...There are actually slaves running Minelab detectors under gun,in the gold fields of Uganda right now,as well

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on him since Day 1.

I don't know when he PM'd you

He appears to be OK he even PM'd me yesterday.

I advised him to check our classifieds.

I Believe he thought the detectors listed under our Avatars are
detectors we wish to sell.

Skool is from Sudan / Khartoum, The government estimates that about 250,000 Sudanese search for gold, mostly in the north of the vast Arab African country, where the Nubian desert has been a source of gold since the Egyptian pharaohs.this does not make him a bad person, although I would
expect anyone selling would take normal precautions, at this point,
Please respect his right to be here

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...just a word of caution...as I said in Sudan...a "guy",just cant go metal detecting for gold...it is strongly controlled by Armed Cartels...they literally kidnap people and force them to detect for gold

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
INTERESTING

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I got an PM from him too and thought it was suspicious, especially since that day on Dr. Phil was about a woman who got scammed for 184,000 dollars from a nigeria who was pretending to be a man from the UK. Maybe I am just being overly paranoid but I don't metal detect (costs too much at the moment) and thought it was a bit odd that someone would be asking me about metal detectors, since I spend all my time in CRHing forum. I got a cheap $20 metal detector that I am willing to send but money in general. Nope, sorry, the teats run dry.

sincerely, Garoulady

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an PM from him too and thought it was suspicious, especially since that day on Dr. Phil was about a woman who got scammed for 184,000 dollars from a nigeria who was pretending to be a man from the UK. Maybe I am just being overly paranoid but I don't metal detect (costs too much at the moment) and thought it was a bit odd that someone would be asking me about metal detectors, since I spend all my time in CRHing forum. I got a cheap $20 metal detector that I am willing to send but money in general. Nope, sorry, the teats run dry.

sincerely, Garoulady

From what I got from him, he is looking to buy a detector for gold,
not for donations, this is why I trust him at this point.
of course when it comes to payment for the detector just the fact of where he is from ,
may cause problems.

"i thought that u could help a person in the desert of africa to find his way and his work to be a good person for is family and his society
any way thanks"
sounds like the typical attitude in these places, be a providor

again, I can't fault him for asking, but believe it's a lost cause here.
he may be better looking local

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....................Minelab sold more detectors to that country than anywhere last year

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If he is telling the truth, then my heart goes out to him, but darn it, Sudan is where the pirates operate out of, blackhawk down happened there, etc. Thanks for checking Jeff, I will respect him as far as the forum goes, but his country has a reputation that paints them all.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he is telling the truth, then my heart goes out to him, but darn it, Sudan is where the pirates operate out of, blackhawk down happened there, etc. Thanks for checking Jeff, I will respect him as far as the forum goes, but his country has a reputation that paints them all.

..actually Black Hawk Down happened in,and the Pirates are coming from Mogadishu in Somalia Bosn :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also got a PM from him as I'm sure many have. I put him on IGNORE list. Taken care of. TTC

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i also got a PM from him ....I told him i had no detectors for sale... And to check Treasure Net's classified......

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
............earlier this year I had two different folks on here from S. Africa want my panning dirt,and one was from Sudan

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People from countries like his have AWHOLE different mind set then ours.. I do not think he is a scammer but they do not think in "American ways" of things.. In away i kinda feel sorry for people over there but thats life! :occasion14:

skool

Feb 15, 2013
in the heart of africa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi all first i`m not scam, i just contact people here to buy used detectors because i have no credit card so i can not buy from ebay or simiilar sites, i contact people because i could send the price via a registerd air mail i`m not asking for money and i`m not asking for free detectorsi want i`m asking for used detectors that for sale it means i`m going to pay i looking for used detectors because i have a limited budget, my apologies to all you guys i`m very sorry because i distrube you all by my PM

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems legit too me, i know over where he is from some people use a MDer to work to provide food and money for there families trying to find gold or getting hired by someone to look for gold. They have no other means of finding used detectors @ good prices then going on the internet and they most do not have pleasure of having credit cards like we do. However I think this guy Skool is Legit but... I would be careful in dealing with some people from these countries..

skool

Feb 15, 2013
in the heart of africa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

the blackhawk down in Sumalia

skool

Feb 15, 2013
in the heart of africa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

sincerely, Garoulady

sorry i'm not looking for donations

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we Try to be open minded. so many different Countries in to detecting & treasure Hunting here :headbang:.

it's just best you stick to the classifieds rather then PM's to look for a detector.
although distances may make things difficult also.
but Good Luck Skool !

Do you have friends over there with detectors , that may tell you where thy got theirs ?

Last edited:

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck skool!!! I hope you find tons of used detectors for cheap and use the parts to create the greatest detector of ALL TIME. If I ever have one to sell then I'll hit you up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread