Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
box jellyfish have been found in Nj beach waters - keep eyes open - report if you see one
I wear a sweatshirt even when waters are warm or a lite kayak/dive jacket and usually wear some sort of gloves
you do not want to get stung by one of these - I saw a variety in waters of Jamaica last year and went the other way - I wear mask 99% of the time - one of the reasons is to see these types of dangers

Upvote 0

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh have heard the small box ones are lethal if I recall rightly :icon_scratch:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had no idea they were anywhere else but Australia, so I looked it up and found out the between Florida and Cuba is full of them. And now box jellies on the Atlantic coast. Wow!
Thanks for sharing/warning...

B J

May 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I sail in Carribean the First Aid kit carries epi-pen and benadryl to counteract box jellyfish stings.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a picture!
image.jpg

Last edited:

stephenscool

Greenie
Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of the problem is that, for the most part, the animals that would usually eat jelly fish have been eliminated. There are now large 'swarms' of jellyfish roaming the oceans and only getting larger. This is a problem that not only won't go away but will get much much worse.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody know if the product called safesea works?
Just read amazon reviews of this product, fwif mostly positive

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
We keep Adolph's Meat Tenderizer in the first aid kit. Mix it into a paste and put on the stung area. You will be able to see the stung area very clearly.

We were scalloping, west central Florida, in 6' of water. My 7 year old grandson got nailed. It's not pretty.

Don't rub or scratch the area.

It hurts like the devil, but survivable.

Also, if you step on a sting ray. HOT WATER> Soak your foot in the hottest water you can find. Get it from the exhaust of an outboard or a beach restaurant/hotel. Dump the beer cooler in the bottom of the boat and fill it with the hot exhaust water.

The heat, as hot as you can stand, will neutralize the poison. Do this first, then go to the hospital. It gives amazing relief. (still get medical attention, this is first aid only)

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't had any reports here yet. I know if we get an east wind here for several days, it brings in the man o' wars.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People don't realize - man o wars were uncommon at one time in eastern waters - then they became more prevalent in Fla. and then farther north - last year we had a few get up here and they were a little larger than ones ive seen in Fla. waters and they had a few med emergencies from them on the Cape and in CT. I heard

Haven't had any reports here yet. I know if we get an east wind here for several days, it brings in the man o' wars.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People don't realize - man o wars were uncommon at one time in eastern waters - then they became more prevalent in Fla. and then farther north - last year we had a few get up here and they were a little larger than ones ive seen in Fla. waters and they had a few med emergencies from them on the Cape and in CT. I heard

Yep, that is correct. The other thing is, even though they are washed up on the beach and dead, you can still be stung pretty bad by them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread