Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
All these people posting their pieces like it's needed for this sort of thing. Dog gone it, people are more dangerous than black bears. I've scared them away before, just by throwing twigs. The idiot probably ran and was too afraid to even punch the thing.

It's pathetic to say 'I killed a blackbear in self defense". Maybe if it was a rapid mother infected with rabies but statistically speaking the odds of this occurring are pretty low. I usually take a handgun with me into the woods but not for black bear defense. I mean really, statistically speaking, how many healthy people are usually killed by blackbear in the US/Canada in a given year? Usually less than 1.

Polar bears/ grisly on the other hand..... Much more dangerous.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the case of poor Mr Patel, it was a case of his "friends" not having to outrun the bear, they just had to outrun poor Mr Patel!

Whether Bear, Mountain Lion, Rattlesnake, or two legged critters, I have never had to use more than:

AntiCritter1:

NoBear1.jpg

or (if that doesn't work),

AntiCritter2:

NoBear2.jpg

With a little 147gr Federal Hydrashok loaded about +P+. My 9mm tank can handle anything you feed it!

Mike

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these people posting their pieces like it's needed for this sort of thing. Dog gone it, people are more dangerous than black bears. I've scared them away before, just by throwing twigs. The idiot probably ran and was too afraid to even punch the thing.

It's pathetic to say 'I killed a blackbear in self defense". Maybe if it was a rapid mother infected with rabies but statistically speaking the odds of this occurring are pretty low. I usually take a handgun with me into the woods but not for black bear defense. I mean really, statistically speaking, how many healthy people are usually killed by blackbear in the US/Canada in a given year? Usually less than 1.

To afraid to punch the thing? really? rapid mother infected with rabies? really?
Oh my god!!!!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No......A drug addict, is more dangerous then any wild animal. And deserves to be treated as such.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you look up the statistics, more people are killed/mauled by black bears than any other in North America

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mucks right.....I spend countless hours in bear habitat. statistically black bears are not so timid. 1911 American classic 2 has my back if ever the need befalls me. I refuse to be a statistic !!!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Dunno about the guy that got ate,
but this guy is a real man.

A Minnesota man managed to kill a 525-pound black bear with a knife after the injured bear attacked a group of hunters early Saturday morning.

KARE11.com reported that the group, which hunts every weekend from September to December, hit the bear with a bow and arrow earlier in the evening. But the bear was not fatally wounded. The hunters, considering the ethics and the meat, decided to track the bear, using its trail of blood as a guide.

They found the bear on the ground and assumed it was dead. But the bear, still bleeding from its wound, managed to charge at one of the hunters and mauled him.

"All of a sudden I heard him screaming," Craig Lindstrom, one of the hunters, told the news station. "Literally screaming, screaming and you knew he was being mauled."

The attacked hunter, who was not identified in the report, had a knife and was faced with few options. He began to plunge the knife into the bear about "20 times," Lindstrom told the station. The bear continued to maul the hunter's arm.

The bear died about 50 yards from where it was stabbed and it took 10 men hours to drag it back to camp, the report said. The hunter suffered two broken arms and various other wounds. He will undergo more surgery, the report said.

“We are going to mount that thing,” Lindstrom told the station. “So this will be another story. It just happens to be the biggest one.”

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno about the guy that got ate,
but this guy is a real man.

A Minnesota man managed to kill a 525-pound black bear with a knife after the injured bear attacked a group of hunters early Saturday morning.

KARE11.com reported that the group, which hunts every weekend from September to December, hit the bear with a bow and arrow earlier in the evening. But the bear was not fatally wounded. The hunters, considering the ethics and the meat, decided to track the bear, using its trail of blood as a guide.

They found the bear on the ground and assumed it was dead. But the bear, still bleeding from its wound, managed to charge at one of the hunters and mauled him.

"All of a sudden I heard him screaming," Craig Lindstrom, one of the hunters, told the news station. "Literally screaming, screaming and you knew he was being mauled."

The attacked hunter, who was not identified in the report, had a knife and was faced with few options. He began to plunge the knife into the bear about "20 times," Lindstrom told the station. The bear continued to maul the hunter's arm.

The bear died about 50 yards from where it was stabbed and it took 10 men hours to drag it back to camp, the report said. The hunter suffered two broken arms and various other wounds. He will undergo more surgery, the report said.

“We are going to mount that thing,” Lindstrom told the station. “So this will be another story. It just happens to be the biggest one.”

Great post BC. They didn't say his name but to his friends it must be MISTER Boone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread