***WARNING***

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
*** WARNING***
This post contains NO history lessons or fictional flights of fantasy.

That said… On with the posting. <grin> Hello everyone! I hope you’ve all been able to get out and do a little detecting over the past week or so. Despite the odd jobs, errands, regular work schedule, unplanned work schedule changes, doctors appointments, traveling and even the inclement weather I myself still managed to get out and swing my detector a little bit. Very little unfortunately, but hey! Any time detecting is a good time to be sure. I put in several hours today as a matter of fact. Today being my “little bit” of time I got to detect in the past week or so.
I awoke this morning, late, and it was cold wet and drizzly miserable. I woke late, partially due to the fact that I stayed up way past my bedtime last night playing on the computer. I love word games and tend to get obsessed at times when I play… uh.. yeah.. me.. obsessed with words. <laughing> Anyway, I was able to stay up unusually late because my better half was out of town attending a conference with her Not For Profit organization. Which is partly why I got up late this morning as well, because my “alarm clock” was out of town. It’s not often that I get to sleep late, even on a day off. I did get up eventually though, to find that it had rained yet more overnight. And, even though there was no frost on the ground this morning, it was still pretty chilly outside. A quick repast of fiber and moo juice then I grabbed my rain jacket to slip over my sweatshirt (for warmth) and headed out to do some detecting. On days like this I tend to gravitate toward the woodchips and tot lots for my detecting efforts. There are several parks around town, and school playgrounds that feature the woodchips and playgrounds enough to keep me happily busy, despite the weather.
While the grass was very wet, and the ground a bit soggy, the chips were reasonably dry.. well.. not saturated anyway. I can’t say the same for the sandlots however. I know of all three because I detected in and dug in all three this morning. And yeah, I ended up with soggy knees and pant legs, and squishy shoes, and soggy wet gloves. *sigh* But at the time I was becoming soggy I didn’t even pay attention to it, I was too busy digging and collecting! Boy! I was flying high! These planes in the first picture weren’t, however, I dug them up in two separate tot lots.

Planes.JPG

I was not expecting to find aircraft while detecting this morning, unusual to say the least. There were, of course, the usual finds to be made as well. Can slaw, tabs, scrap metal… I had examples of all the above.

Scrap1.JPG

Some unusual crap.. er.. scrap metal finds were also found at the parks this morning.. buttons, snaps, zipper pulls, hair clasps, a metal cleat insert.. and even a fish hook?

Scrap2.JPG

Then… there were the “whatzits” . Those odd bits of metal that sometimes are hard to identify or why they were found where they were.. well.. found.

whatzits.JPG

… a closer look at that.. uh.. “probe”?

Probe.JPG

I ran into another one of those Canadian chicks again today as well… what is it with these gals? Not enough people looking for them up in the Great White North? <grin>

Canadian Chick.JPG

And lastly, but not least.. BY FAR.. was the clad collected for the day. Yeah.. it was a fairly good day for the old vacation fund to be sure! Lots and lots of pennies, as usual, but plenty of quarters and dimes as well. Check it out! <smiling>

Clad.JPG

$10.30 U.S. might not sound like a lot of cash, but it’s a whole pile of coins when you’re finding them one at a time (for the most part). It more than covered my gas money for the day. Not any way to make a living, but it’s certainly a profitable hobby to be sure! I hope you all got out and detected some this weekend, or are going to. Good luck.. and as always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Looks like a mighty fine days worth of MDing. So big deal....Ya didn't get rich but you had FUN!!!!! :thumbsup:
HH
~Nash~

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good digs , I cant help but wonder if the Military planes crashed into the tot lots or if the pilots rough landed then made an escape into the city by foot.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
wow, you must have hit a lot of lots :icon_thumright:. I hate those jeans button, I find so many plus the little pocket snaps as well. They always make me wonder if they're making really cheap jeans these days or if kids are getting that much fatter :laughing7:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
gilgar said:
wow, you must have hit a lot of lots :icon_thumright:. I hate those jeans button, I find so many plus the little pocket snaps as well. They always make me wonder if they're making really cheap jeans these days or if kids are getting that much fatter :laughing7:

Well not so many tot lots as it may have sounded. I actually detected at one elementary school playground, a park down the street from that school and one other park that has a HUGE tot lot. So all in all it was three sites, two of which offered ball fields and picnic areas as well as the woodchips.
As for the jeans buttons.. yeah, cheaply made jeans I suspect, AND kids tend to be running a little heavier nowadays than when we were children. Or so it would seem. Zipper pulls and buttons and snaps are as common in tot lots as pull tabs are everywhere else. <shrug> You get used to it.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That just looks like fun I am going to have to do a tot lot one day.You guys find a lot of cool stuff. Thanks for sharing your good days hunts
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
that is one huge stack of gas or beer money !!

No beer. *sigh* Sometimes gas though, yes. Not that I miss the beer, I just can't drink it. I think I'm alergic to hops or something in the beer. No kidding. I can drink half a can of beer and I'll be puking my insides out for hours. It's not the alcohol to be sure. I can imbide hard liquor till I pass out and never get sick.. (usually doesn't take much since I have a very low tolerance anyway). But deffinately no beer. <shrug>
Usually though, the clad I find detecting gets pooled into the "vacation fund" or "Kitty". I've paid for several hotel stays on vacation with nothing more than the money found detecting. You gotta love a hobby that pays you to have fun! <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Frodov - looks like you had an eventful day of hunting. :icon_thumright:

I believe that your "probe" is the tip from a mig welder... it should have a fine hole running the length of it... just big enough for a wire .035 inches in diameter to pass though it. Are there threads on the end not shown?

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Mach 1 Pilot said:

I believe that your "probe" is the tip from a mig welder... it should have a fine hole running the length of it... just big enough for a wire .035 inches in diameter to pass though it. Are there threads on the end not shown?

Actually, after reading your post I can see what you mean. I'm not a welder, but I've seen the equipment the machinists at my work use and I think I've seen similar "tips" on some of the wire feed "guns" on their welding equipment. And yes, there is a very fine hole on the end of the tip that runs the length of the tube. No, there aren't any threads at the base end, it almost looks as if it's been cut off. <shrug> How it ended up in a tot lot I can't imagine. Anyway, thanks my friend. Another "Whatzit" identified! <cheering>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Rando said:
I would rather see stuff from 20 years ago from a tot lot with a well written story to it than a pile of Morgan dollars any day...
I enjoy your refreshing verbosity, sir.

Frodov said:
I can imbide hard liquor till I pass out and never get sick.. (usually doesn't take much since I have a very low tolerance anyway). But deffinately no beer. <shrug>

huh, well that' s a GOOD idea.....

Well I find lots of stuff at parks and tot lots.. but I'd LOVE to find a SINGLE Morgan dollar let alone a whole pile of them! <grin> Of course, most of the places I detect wouldn't have something like that to be found unless it's fallen from the pocket of a more contemporary child. I do find some older coins in parks that were at one time private property in the past, a lot of farm land in my area was enveloped and absorbed by suburbs and even urban developement over time. But I guess that the same could be said for many places as well huh? <shrug> I'll keep hunting though, old coins or not.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Rando said:
Frodov said:
Mach 1 Pilot said:

Actually, after reading your post I can see what you mean. I'm not a welder, but I've seen the equipment the machinists at my work use and I think I've seen similar "tips" on some of the wire feed "guns" on their welding equipment. And yes, there is a very fine hole on the end of the tip that runs the length of the tube. No, there aren't any threads at the base end, it almost looks as if it's been cut off. <shrug> How it ended up in a tot lot I can't imagine. Anyway, thanks my friend. Another "Whatzit" identified! <cheering>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

The "probe' has the "Miller" welder brand product symbol and "035" is a type of Mig welding wire...

Boy! The things you find in the tot lots! Got to wonder how they get there huh?

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread