Was a farthing, now just a thing

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug this farthing in an old farmfield. Came up as a 17 on the Equinox VDI. I was hoping it was a trime, but was glad it was at least a coin. Once home, I could see an impression of George II and Lady Britannia. I thought for sure it was going to clean up nice with a light toothpicking. However, the patina started flaking right off no matter how gentle I scraped. I panicked and decided to soak it in mineral oil, as I have seen some people have success with that method. Unfortunately, my preservation skills really stink, so I pretty much wrecked whatever was left of it. Still, I am happy that I could at least identify it, and that I did not get skunked. I think I might even see a little bit of the date; 1740 something, I believe. Hoping there is some Spanish silver nearby, as I have yet to find colonial silver. Thanks for checking out my post. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• 20201203_171331.jpg
    20201203_171331.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20201203_171712.jpg
    20201203_171712.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 29

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a mason jar full of the same “things”.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a mason jar full of the same “things”.

Ha ha. I know the feeling. I probably have about 20 or so, and this is actually one of the better ones. I know I should be grateful to dig a Colonial coin regardless of condition, as I know people on the West Coast, for example, rarely get to dig something this old. However, it would sure be nice if these coins would come out of the ground looking nice once in awhile. It happens for some people on this site, but rarely for me.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Don't be so hard on yourself. If the dry cleaning didn't work as you hoped then likely there was nothing you could have done to get a better outcome. Certainly any liquid cleaning would have resulted in the same look you have now...if not worse. A farthing in any shape is a good find.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha. I know the feeling. I probably have about 20 or so, and this is actually one of the better ones. I know I should be grateful to dig a Colonial coin regardless of condition, as I know people on the West Coast, for example, rarely get to dig something this old. However, it would sure be nice if these coins would come out of the ground looking nice once in awhile. It happens for some people on this site, but rarely for me.
Yup problem is most coppers out of old farm fields have not only been buried for several centuries but also have been subjected to years of fertilizer and the like .

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its any consolation , breaks my heart every time, no matter how many time it has happened , at least theres a little raised detail left that still identifies the coin well enough

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the farthing. The ground around here is really hard on old coppers and the few I have are in worse shape than yours. You just have to take what you can get and hope for better next time. Glad you were able to at least identify what you have. Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be so hard on yourself... A farthing in any shape is a good find.
Thanks. I know that sometimes there is really nothing that could have been done to save the coin, but I just thought this one was going to be different. I have seen some good cleaning advice on this site and I try to implement it, but I never get the results I see others get. Going to keep trying. Was cool to find a farthing though.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if its any consolation , breaks my heart every time, no matter how many time it has happened , at least theres a little raised detail left that still identifies the coin well enough

Thanks. It is heartbreaking everytime they come out slick. Although disappointed with its final shape, I was happy to get a firm ID. The reverse is not too bad, I guess.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations ..... Glad you were able to at least identify what you have. Stay safe and keep swingin.
Thanks. I am grateful for that. Stay safe and happy hunting!

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug 5 KG II farthings, 3 Brittania and 2 Hibernia. Yours being Britannia, it is most Iikely a 1749, as are most KGII farthings found in the US.. A large shipment of the 1749 farthings arrived in Boston in late 1749. Three of mine are in about the same condition as yours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug 5 KG II farthings, 3 Brittania and 2 Hibernia. Yours being Britannia, it is most Iikely a 1749, as are most KGII farthings found in the US.. A large shipment of the 1749 farthings arrived in Boston in late 1749. Three of mine are in about the same condition as yours.

Very interesting. I have only found one other farthing, which was a 1749, I think, and in slightly better shape than this one. I will give it a closer look, as I suspect you could be right. Thanks!! (I just looked at some 1749 farthings on ebay. I can see how a 1749 could look like a 1742 on a blurry corroded coin like mine. I do think you are right about the date.)

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins that old in the RED BOOK have a grade of AG...about good. Good enough to identify, which yours is. Much better than a slick piece of copper. Nice find! Gary

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, at least you were able to ID the coin - congrats !
It's much better than finding a completely worn smooth "UUO" (Unidentified Underground Object).

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins that old in the RED BOOK have a grade of AG...about good. Good enough to identify, which yours is. Much better than a slick piece of copper. Nice find! Gary

Thanks... I would say mine is AAG, almost about good:laughing7:. The reverse looks okay, but I really had to tilt that coin just right to see King George. Oh well.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, at least you were able to ID the coin - congrats !
It's much better than finding a completely worn smooth "UUO" (Unidentified Underground Object).

Thanks! I agree, much better than an UUO, which I have way too many of.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it makes you feel any better, take a look at look at a couple of these. Most of mine are worse than yours :laughing7:

Farthings 002.jpg Farthings 001.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread