Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all !
Went to a park around the corner from my house today, Been there a zillion times because its so close. Done good there in the past. Probably pulled over $40 , and found one silver ring . Its an old park ,dedicated in the early 1900's. I've also pulled one silver Rosie , there's got to be more.
Today i hit a wooded area along the edge of the park. I wasn't paying attention and the next thing i knew i was standing in a patch of poison oak ! I thought it was called "Oak Park" because of the
trees ! LOL !
Not complaining, had a great time. Found $7.21 in clad , one bling ear ring , an aluminum pull ring handle , a neet AAA Medallion ,,,and,,,Drum roll please ,,, another nice 925 silver ring ! IMG_20180203_181128455.jpg ring.jpg
Now my leg itches !

Upvote 23

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4537.JPG Sorry to
Hear about the Poison Oak. I'd be getting some Technu pretty quick, or if You are as allergic as Me,
Any Doc will be glad to poke You with a needle and give You a steroid shot.

Last edited:

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it worth it? YES! The itch will go away, but that ring will be around for a lifetime! Nice job!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice park hunt! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver ring.
I'm not sure if this grows in your area, but its nature's cure to Poison Ivy.

https://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

Another item I carry is the little alcohol prep. wipes. If the PI touches my skin I wipe the oils off right away, and it seems to help a lot.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bravo, Remember, dont scratch that itch ! Congrats on some nice finds. If my wife is anywhere near poison ivy, oak, or sumac she will end up in the hospital. She is deathly allergic to all of them. When I come home from an outing, I have to throw my clothes in the wash machine. If she were to even touch the part of my pants where I was walking thru it, she would get it.

Last edited:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being a native Californian I've had poison oak probably at least a dozen times. While metal detecting in some Pennsylvania woods a few years ago I got poison ivy on my legs. Between the two poison oak is worse. Poison oak covers a larger area and itches more! ...I hate it!...Nice sterling silver ring!

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A tip to help get rid of poison oak is to swim ( detect , lol ) in the ocean. The salt water will help draw out and wash off the oil.
NEVER use hot water,it just spreads the rash.
NEVER rub your eyes or pick your nose and NEVER EVER hold your little friend while peeing if you think you got poison oak, ivy or Sumac !!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into poison ivy once when trying to detect a brushy area of a park where I thought no one had detected before. Boy do I regret that. Glad you did well without the side effects.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Ring! :occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We relic hunters always have to deal with poison oak or ivy.
It’s part of the game.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Bravo, Remember, dont scratch that itch ! Congrats on some nice finds. If my wife is anywhere near poison ivy, oak, or sumac she will end up in the hospital. She is deathly allergic to all of them. When I come home from an outing, I have to throw my clothes in the wash machine. If she were to even touch the part of my pants where I was walking thru it, she would get it.

my wife is the same way, she got into her worst poison oak during a winter dig, took a couple months to get over that. Me, I might get a bump or two and just don't scratch and it is gone soon enough. She dug her Franklin a week or so ago in an area that she would normally avoid because of the P.O. in the winter time, the poison is more concentrated in the roots. it is what it is and we have to deal with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread