was Waltz shot gun ever found ?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
If it is really rusted shut or frozen in place. Get some Koil and just pour it on the hinges etc a couple of treatments over a few days. That stuff breaks anything loose. Use an eyedroper and let it soap in
i have a couple old single shot rifles that were found in a cave and they still shoot.....they have surface rust and some minor pitting but still in good shape....they were found leaning up against the wall ...if they had been laying in the floor i doubt they would have been in that good of condition

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
i have a couple old single shot rifles that were found in a cave and they still shoot.....they have surface rust and some minor pitting but still in good shape....they were found leaning up against the wall ...if they had been laying in the floor i doubt they would have been in that good of condition
They must have belonged to Waltz..history tells us that he always leaned his rifles up against a wall. :laughing7:
p.s. we need a more friendly laugh emoji, :occasion14:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They must have belonged to Waltz..history tells us that he always leaned his rifles up against a wall. :laughing7:
p.s. we need a more friendly laugh emoji, :occasion14:

It's not often I actually chuckle out loud at a post, but that one did :)

OP
OP
Blindbowman

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy BB,

Waltz covered his mine so that it would not be found. He had no reason to leave his shotgun behind as proof to any finder since he did not expect it to be found. Besides, an old rusty shotgun proves nothing, it is the ore that does the talking. It doen't take a Shameman to know it is not the LDM.

Homar
i am so sorry , i apologize, i did not know you were alive back then and you knew him that well ... lol i never said it was Waltz's shot gun . in fact i ask if his was ever found .. ... read and be enlightened ... i really don't care ... think what ever you want .. i just said that i found one ,... i never went in the mine and i never took gold ore and i never found any treasure .. thats my story and i am sticking to it ... now i got to go work on a 95 580 EFI Pantera ... i hope who real cares ?

Last edited:

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy BB,

Apology accepted :laughing7:, but it is I who feel sorry for taking part in what seems like a "piñata" party, with everyone taking a swing at you. You have entertained us Dutch Hunters for a long time. It is always nice to come and find something to read even if we don't agree with it. Keep posting Amigo, the time will come for some of us to swing like a "piñta" for others to take a swing at us.
iu

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy BB,

Apology accepted :laughing7:, but it is I who feel sorry for taking part in what seems like a "piñata" party, with everyone taking a swing at you. You have entertained us Dutch Hunters for a long time. It is always nice to come and find something to read even if we don't agree with it. Keep posting Amigo, the time will come for some of us to swing like a "piñta" for others to take a swing at us.
iu

Homar,

In this case, the pinata is right where he wants to be ;)

It's like that guy at school that gets bored and starts messing with everyone until we all jump on him and give him a pink-belly...or whip the crap out of him with wet towels...the BB and Mick are that guy...they revel in the struggle against the whole locker room...it's all in good fun. LDM Fight Club.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Bowman,

I don't know if this is true or not, I'm just passing it along since you asked if Waltz's shotgun had ever been found.

Gerry Hamrick said he had found evidence that the shotgun Waltz had in AZ, was acquired in CA when Waltz worked there as a stage driver, before he came to AZ. So it wouldn't have been the shotgun he bought in Germany prior to his emigration. It was also said to have been a "coach gun" which I'm sure you're familiar with.

This gun might have been the one used by Grijalva to kill Ortega at Waltz's place in 1884...(not that I'm convinced it was Grijalva that did the shooting) Gerry said he had traced that gun and it was the one Rhiney killed himself with in the town garage in Globe, and the gun was known to be in the Gila County Sheriff's office for years afterward. Gerry talked to the judge that apparently oversaw Rhiney's suicide case and that's where he got the info on the shotgun.

This is all covered in great detail in Thomas Glover's book "The Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz, Unraveling a Mystery"

OP
OP
Blindbowman

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bowman,

I don't know if this is true or not, I'm just passing it along since you asked if Waltz's shotgun had ever been found.

Gerry Hamrick said he had found evidence that the shotgun Waltz had in AZ, was acquired in CA when Waltz worked there as a stage driver, before he came to AZ. So it wouldn't have been the shotgun he bought in Germany prior to his emigration. It was also said to have been a "coach gun" which I'm sure you're familiar with.

This gun might have been the one used by Grijalva to kill Ortega at Waltz's place in 1884...(not that I'm convinced it was Grijalva that did the shooting) Gerry said he had traced that gun and it was the one Rhiney killed himself with in the town garage in Globe, and the gun was known to be in the Gila County Sheriff's office for years afterward. Gerry talked to the judge that apparently oversaw Rhiney's suicide case and that's where he got the info on the shotgun.

This is all covered in great detail in Thomas Glover's book "The Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz, Unraveling a Mystery"
now that even makes it more interesting to me ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread