Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected today with a new guy named "Bubba" in the next county over. Being the Yankee that I am I was a bit nervous when I got the invite because that county is known for moonshine, rednecks, & mullet salons. With visions of Deliverance running through my mind, I put in a cork, put on four pair of underwear, and headed on down. :o Safety first folks! :thumbsup:
Bubba turned out to be a great guy and had all of his teeth too. What a relief. ;D
We first stopped at an old early 1900's country store to tell the owner we were there to detect his old house across the street that Bubba got permission to detect. This store was a real piece of Americana, and I had forgot my camera. :'( It had a tin roof, old gas pumps, an some old guys sitting around talking & playing checkers. While in there I discovered where all those potted meat cans come from. ;D
This guys property was FULL of soda caps, pull tabs, and asst'd crappe'. It was only fitting that the first soda cap I dug had Richard Petty on it! :tongue3: I found only memorial pennies & one 1944 wheat.
We decided to move on. Our next stop was to another early 1900's country store a few miles away. Bubba had gone to school with the owner, and his aunt owned a 1870's house next door. After looking at more potted meat cans inside we headed next door, and with the help of my relic display to use as eye candy, we got the o.k. to detect there. I'm sure Bubba's southern drawl helped too. :wink:
This place for some reason was only turning up modern clad, not even a wheat. ??? :dontknow: After a few hours of digging & seating we learned why. The lady forgot to tell us that two guys detected it a few years ago. :'(
They did leave me two things though, a "United States Army" watch FOB, with "JoRoCo" on the back, and an unknown decorative piece that I'm hoping someone can ID. I was thinking it was some sort of medal that once held a cloth ribbon. :dontknow: The bottom is hinged and it has two pins through it that once held something. Any ideas?

Well, the finds were pretty disappointing today, but the experience was one I'll cherish forever. I met some great people, and made it out with my cork & teeth still in place. :laughing9:
There are so many cool old houses in that area, and Bubba is working on getting us permission for future hunts.
Thanks again Bubba! :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-083S.JPG
    MVC-083S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 841
  • MVC-084S.JPG
    MVC-084S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 842
  • MVC-085S.JPG
    MVC-085S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 840
  • MVC-086S.JPG
    MVC-086S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 849
  • MVC-087S.JPG
    MVC-087S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 843
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible book clasp, but would need to be a thick book :dontknow:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Possible book clasp, but would need to be a thick book :dontknow:

Cru,
That was a pretty good guess. It could very well be. Thanks.
-MM-

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Boy will you pay for those opening comments! ;D Up north here (or is it North?), it was good for a laugh though.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds MM!! That's a neat fob. As much junk as I have dug, I don't remenber finding one. Dman has found several. Like that Petty top. Glad you and Bubba had fun. HH.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see that you and Bubba hooked up. We're suppose to get together, too as soon as we can both find the time.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
Boy will you pay for those opening comments! ;D Up north here (or is it North?), it was good for a laugh though.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;D Ever since I was told "The only good Yankee is a dead Yankee" I figured the war was still on in that county. :laughing9:
What took the cake though was that toilet plunger turned upside down being used as a bird feeder! :tongue3:
-MM-

VOL1266-X said:
Nice finds MM!! That's a neat fob. As much junk as I have dug, I don't remenber finding one. Dman has found several. Like that Petty top. Glad you and Bubba had fun. HH.

Thanks VOL.
I'm saving that Petty top for you for Christmas. ;D
-MM-

rwsnc said:
Glad to see that you and Bubba hooked up. We're suppose to get together, too as soon as we can both find the time.

Bob,
You'll like Bubba. He's a very nice guy and a lot of fun to detect with.
Good luck,
Doug

THANKS EVERYONE for the replies. One of these days I'm going to find a silver coin again. :-\

-MM-

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Dug, it is always good to see new people hunting together. It is even better to see that one of them is named Bubba. :laughing9:

I hope you and Bubba keep nailing those NC sites! Old coiiiiiiiiiins are waiting for both of you! :headbang:

Sir Kyle

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt with Bubba, Doug. Cool looking relic but don't know what it is. Glad to see you made it back home to submitt your post :laughing7:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dwayne sueno said:
um, squeal like a seated dime? nice fob, MM

dwayne
Thanks Dwayne. :icon_thumleft:

KylePA said:
Dug, it is always good to see new people hunting together. It is even better to see that one of them is named Bubba. :laughing9:

I hope you and Bubba keep nailing those NC sites! Old coiiiiiiiiiins are waiting for both of you! :headbang:
Sir Kyle

Thanks Sir Kyle.
It was very cool to see all these old properties in that area. I was drooling. :tongue3:
-Sir Dug-

crazyjarhead said:
Nice hunt with Bubba, Doug. Cool looking relic but don't know what it is. Glad to see you made it back home to submitt your post :laughing7:

Thanks Ron.
I guess what made me the most nervous was that both of those stores I went into had a "Yankee lipstick" for sale. I'm glad they didn't have it in my shade. :o ;D
-Doug-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure do got a pretty fob :-*

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
What took the cake though was that toilet plunger turned upside down being used as a bird feeder!
-MM-
man you had me laughing the whole post ;D willy

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
That sounded like an adventure for a misplaced Yank such as yourself. The Watchfob is topnotch and the story had me right there with you. Great job Doug.
Chris

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See MM,all us rebels aren't bad.Good finds.But I think the way you told the story took the cake. :laughing9: :laughing9: :thumbsup:
Good Luck on Your Next Hunt!
STILL! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
Timekiller!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread