Watch out, coin roll hunters!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
In July, I'll celebrate 5 years of metal detecting; in that time, I've managed to accumulate a significant number of dug wheat pennies. I've been thinking of something interesting to do with them; some of the holes in my boy's album have been filled, but there are at least a thousand common date wheat pennies that need a new home. I've thought about burying them in a plastic jar for a future detectorist to discover, but decided not to go that route. Recently, our community learned that our local park board had no money for two important items; in my mind, the most important was fireworks on July 4th. This event brings thousands into our little town and we have our own front row seat in the back yard. The day wouldn't be the same without fireworks. Citizens were enlisted to come up with ideas for fundraising; I suggested getting the word out and asking people to donate those jars of coins almost everyone has in their house. We created an organization to raise funds independently of borough and other official bodies, and my idea was received enthusiastically. Last week, the K-4 school up the street had a drive and raised over $1700 in coins! Once I opened my big mouth, I had to become part of the solution and it hit me: I have a stash of my own! Tomorrow, this pile of wheat pennies is going to the bank (managed, coincidentally, by another TNet member ;D), and whatever the total ends up being it'll go to the park. Now, I'll let you know tomorrow what the total ended up being, but why don't we make it interesting and see who can guess the amount before it's posted? Chances are these coins will start showing up in rolls all over the mid-Atlantic region :D.

Attachments

• penniesforthepark (Small).jpg
    penniesforthepark (Small).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,149
Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Good job!
I can just imagine the repair bill for the bank's coin counter once they run those babies through!

My guess- 1373.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
TXTim said:
Good job!
I can just imagine the repair bill for the bank's coin counter once they run those babies through!

My guess- 1373.
Our bank managing TNet member doesn't anticipate any trouble.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
You beat us 6 to 4 last night and took it in the 9th inning ...

Ok ~ I will guess 964 ...

~Nick~
I'm hoping we win 10-1 tonight and it's 1001!

GatorsMoon

Feb 26, 2008
Mason County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe
Could you lay them out on the towel a little more evenly? Not so bunched up. :icon_jokercolor:

My guess is 1367

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
cool and cool

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
[size=13pt]1654[/size]

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT
very cool idea. i'll say CARDINALS 10 pirates 3. Oh thats not what we are talking about , wheats gotta be about 1750! thanks titan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread