Water and Beach Detector

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I do alot of camping along the rivers and lakes of Virginia. I am planning a trip to Myrtle Beach next summer. I need a versatile water detector. I won't be diving, just wading. I know of several swimming holes, etc, locally. I've never hunted in water.

Suggestions/advice on what I need, etc. Remember, I am a true novice.

Thanks,

DM

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford it, buy a Minelab Excalibur. $1095 new I think. I bought mine used on ebay this year for $685 shipped to me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naturally the Minelab Excalibur in either 800 or 1000 is the best for water in my opinion. It is deep and has fantastic discrimination where it can still sound off on a gold ring and not the nail on top of it. You will dig pull tabs as this is where 90% of the gold rings will be too.

Other good detectors are Tesoro's Tiger Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Fisher 1280. I can't recommend the Fisher CZ20 any more as Fisher does not repair them anymore. It's still a good detector till you need it fixed.

You can always use a land detector that can be hip mounted where you wear waders an keep the detector high and dry. This way you can do double duty with it as water detectors on land are heavy. You will need a long handled scoop of stainless steel. The cheap ones bend out of shape easily. You can get the scoop from http://www.reillystreasuredgold.com/

You can learn more on water searching at thegoldenolde.com/

Let us know how you do and good luck,
sandman

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Digginman,

Like the sandman and bscofield, I swear to the excalibur. I use to own a beach hunter and a Surfmaster PI Plus and there's nothin wrong with ownin either one or models mentioned by the sandman but the excalibur performs........ 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread