Water Board-Tribes Fish Killing Facts

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is-the commercial for gill nettn' millions full a trumped up garbage sic sic sic

[h=1]
waterboard_logo.jpg
This is a message from the State Water Resources Control Board.[/h]You are invited to a presentation on a survey study of fish use by California Tribes during a public State Water Board Meeting. The results could be used for deriving water quality objectives to protect people (including Tribes) who catch and eat fish from California’s waters. Dr. Fraser Shilling of UC Davis will be presenting his survey results to the Board Members of the State Water Board.

The meeting agenda is attached. The date is Sept 9 , 2014. I’m sorry that there is not an exact time for this presentation. This presentation is scheduled as the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] item presented during this meeting. The meeting will start at 9 a.m. Items 1-6 should only take a few minutes each. Item 7 will probably take longer. Board meetings often end around 3 p.m. Also note that the agenda may be reorganized at the start of the meeting. (The agenda is also posted here: State Water Resources Control Board )

You can attend in person in Sacramento (Please see the attached agenda for address and details on signing in with security.) Alternatively, you can watch a live video broadcast of the meeting, available at: Cal/EPA Live Webcasts. This is the “SWRCB Board Meeting”.

The final study report: California Tribes Fish-Use can be found here: http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/mercury/docs/tribes_ fish_use.pdf

Updated Presentation Summary

Tribes have expressed concern that water quality and other water-related decisions tend to lack consideration of tribes’ use of water and aquatic resources. The State Water Resources Control Board and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency provided funding to UC Davis researchers to collaborate with tribes in discovering the historical and current patterns of fish use. UC Davis researchers worked with partner tribes to establish an appropriate approach to interviewing tribe members about fish use.

Members of 40 California tribes and tribe groups were surveyed directly at 24 locations, and staff from 10 tribes was surveyed online using standard questionnaires. Traditional uses of fish were assessed using literature review and surveying of tribe members and staff. Contemporary uses were assessed using tribe member interviews. UC Davis researchers found that tribes use fish in similar patterns (fish types and source-waters) as they did traditionally, but not in terms of amounts. Tribes used 26 freshwater/anadromous fin-fish species, 23 marine fin-fish species, and 18 other invertebrate, and plant species and groups of species. The single most commonly caught and/or eaten fish species group among all tribes was “salmon”, which could include chinook or coho salmon. Current 95th percentile rates of consumption of caught-fish varied by tribe and ranged between 30 g/day (Chumash) and 240 g/day (Pit River). The rate of fish use (frequency and consumption rate) was suppressed for many tribes, compared to traditional rates, which most tribes attributed primarily to water quantity and quality issues.

If you have questions, please contact Amanda Palumbo at: [email protected] or (916) 341-5687.

Regards,
Amanda

Amanda Palumbo, Ph.D.
Environmental Scientist
Division of Water Quality
State Water Resources Control Board
1001 I Street, 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916.341.5687
[email protected]

Upvote 0

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that the swrcb has control of water quality throughout Kalif

the responsible people in the state can look out for the good of the people and European stakeholders. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
John,

Do you remember seeing a post on one of these forums where they saw a pile of dead fish that was left by one of the California Indian Tribes?

Would of been great if they had taken a picture of it and sent it in to a large newspaper as well as the Water Board (would of never seen the printing press I'm sure).

Randy

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Certain tribes in Wash. have completely ruined the fish populations
to the point where there is little chance for recovery.

In the last 5 years the sport fishermen have had our
season on Chum Salmon completely taken away. This
was a massive run in the past, but the side-to-side
gill nets placed across the river by the tribes has
pretty much wiped the entire run out.

Same goes for our Wild Steelhead catch-and-release
season.

The tribes are STILL gill netting both of these species
as they enter the river. We get nothing, while they continue
to wipe out the remaining fish. Soon (very soon) there will
be nothing left.

The Boldt Decision needs to be repealed..NOW, or soon there
won't be a salmon or steelhead left to even show our grandkids.

There is a big battle going on in Wa. right now over this issue, and
the sportsmen have filed a formal "NO-Confidence" vote on the
current Director of WDFW. They take more and more of our money
each year, and we continue to get less and less in return while the
tribes continue to destroy the remaining fish populations.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen pickup loads of whole salmon dumped in the forest. When the tribes net too many I guess they cant process them all before they spoil

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks John
for others whom have a concern for the welfare of miners may i suggest, pictures of the dead salmon, lead other toxins, discarded items of interest, you know like batterys to operate a water pumps for cartel pot industry, cuz battery juice is so healthy for salmon. you all can start with this
If you have questions, please contact Amanda Palumbo at: [email protected] or (916) 341-5687.

Regards,
Amanda

Amanda Palumbo, Ph.D.
Environmental Scientist
Division of Water Quality
State Water Resources Control Board
1001 I Street, 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916.341.5687
[email protected]

Attachments

• endloader gravel.jpg
    endloader gravel.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP
H

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used that photo in my EIR statement in the Bruce Babbet page under Trinity River Total Mess Restoration-I think I posted it here recently under Trinity River ******ation-just a couple of hundreds a 1,000s a dead fish sic sic. Ban dredging because of a miniscule ability(READ NO EVIDENCE OR EVEN TICKETS AS EVIDENCE) but sell hundreds of millions of salmon /steelhead tags and let the tribes gill net millions more such BBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSS-John

OP
OP
H

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
August 22 Trinity signs all over ,my post this forum,has what ya desire--well not desire as will make ya sick but them ugly pic-2 outta 1,000s anyhow-John

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i remember the signs pic, but could be the sign for me gettin sometimers don't remember fishys, Bruce Babbit worst then tick crawling on ya, Give me the heebie jeebies

Attachments

• forestcamping fees.jpg
    forestcamping fees.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 94

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tribes have been fishing for thousands of years with plenty of fish to go around its our ancestors that built all the dams . And all the commercial fishing and greed helped with the decline in the fisheries . Stop using electricity .

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tribes have been fishing for thousands of years with plenty of fish to go around its our ancestors that built all the dams . And all the commercial fishing and greed helped with the decline in the fisheries . Stop using electricity .

The tribes fished for sustenance not sales. This kept a healthy balance.
Even the tribes have upset the balance with greed. Everyone should stop fishing until the populations come back up. no one has to fish to survive anymore.

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But Everyone needs electricity for modern society.

If you live in a grass hut and walk everywhere, then by all means speak up.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But Everyone needs electricity for modern society.

If you live in a grass hut and walk everywhere, then by all means speak up.
If I lived in a grass hut there would be no need for electricity just hang those dead salmon on a drying rack and I do walk most everywhere . Water diversions for municipal uses and farming and power have caused most of the problems . Stop beating a dead horse and blaming a few tribes for the fisheries problem . Hell the sea lions and seals eat more fish than a few tribes .

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about a dead horse. A few little tribes use less than seals.

So Modern society should disappear to save a species. You sound like my wife, she wants all the tourists to leave her land also.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about a dead horse. A few little tribes use less than seals.

So Modern society should disappear to save a species. You sound like my wife, she wants all the tourists to leave her land also.
That would be a good start but its not going to happen . Good night I need to go hug a tree .

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did the Tribes use gillnets for thousands of years, & was just wondering how your powering up your computer, or were you using a clean energy saving smart phone?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

A local tribe petitioned the state for the permission to hunt with rifles and spotlights at night from the bed of a moving pickup...for ceremonial purposes.
They were denied.
Show me the native tradition that involves modern rifles or gill nets.

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While arguing with the director or the minral rights revocation on the trinity i asked why they wanted to stop mining along the trinity river, her response, to protect the improvements made in the river to help salmon populations i said, if you want to help salmon populations the why dont you stop gill netting? She saidthat is part of the tribes culture. I said im a decendant of a long line of indian hunters but i dont feel in todays world it would be appropriate for me to go hunt indians, she said that was different......hhmmmmmmm ,,,,,,,,

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I lived in a grass hut there would be no need for electricity just hang those dead salmon on a drying rack and I do walk most everywhere . Water diversions for municipal uses and farming and power have caused most of the problems . Stop beating a dead horse and blaming a few tribes for the fisheries problem . Hell the sea lions and seals eat more fish than a few tribes .

Southfork, I am sorry if it offends your sense of Native pride...sincerely, but the
tribes here in WA. do not follow the same ethics as you suggest.

On the Skagit River we used to have a massive Chum Salmon run each year,
but when the price of salmon eggs in Japan spiked, the local tribe decided to
gill net the crap out of the run...nets side to side from the mouth all the way
up...the fish never had a chance. They tossed all the males in a pile, then
tossed the females on the same pile after ripping all the eggs out of them.

I used to be able to go down to my beach (backyard, btw) and catch/release Chum till
my arms couldn't take it any more. Now? You'd be lucky to find even one or two
the entire run..and the state also took away the sports fishing season on them,
leaving the rest for the tribes to destroy.

I don't have the video of it, but I have personally seen huge piles of hundreds
(if not thousands) of Chum Salmon just piled up on the bank and rotting away.
My neighbor checked with a sea food exporter, and the tribe was getting $200
for every 5gal. bucket of the eggs.

The run can not repopulate if only a very few of the mature fish are allowed
to make the journey upriver to spawn.

I respect that you have the right to your opinion, but please, don't piss down my
back and tell me it's raining.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions