Water detecting newb

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been around the hobby for a while and still have great fun on land. So other than curiosity I have never had much interest in checking out water. But what the hey, I picked up a scoop recently and gave it a whirl. Well I'll be darned if I didn't start popping jewelry right off the hop ! I have only had four water sessions in the local eutrophic algae filled swamp locally referred to as a lake. Here are the pics.

Upvote 0

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats NWMP, good hunting!
Looks like we're neighbours, I'm in Manitoba!

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Brad. In southern Sask here. The wife and I are planning a week or two up in the Boreal again soon. I have picked up many rings etc. from a long eroded away post on the river bank up there. I scan the shoreline and usually come out with a few, and I have permission for the private land above. I have a few crappy videos that I experimented with using my older camera last year. Look under Chris upnorth on Youtube.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
I had a person once tell me "all tha gold is in the water". It's debatable for sure. But I have had most my luck in the water. Looks like you have a spot that's un touched. Make sure you go back an really creep the area...there's more. Hh gl thanks for sharing. -Joe

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Nice finds and it looks like a great un-hunted area. Please post some photos of the silver after you clean them.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Nice goin'!:headbang:

L

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the finds! Perhaps you have found an untapped area, I sure hope so.

Regards,

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newb you say?? Good work.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a person once tell me "all tha gold is in the water". It's debatable for sure. But I have had most my luck in the water. Looks like you have a spot that's un touched. Make sure you go back an really creep the area...there's more. Hh gl thanks for sharing. -Joe
Yes I think that the (small) spot was untouched. I got my first ring in water less than knee deep. and eventually after a few trips got up to my moobs. I still have a lot to learn and my hitting targets with no visibility can still be dicey. My second last trip nailed several large coins in the deeper stuff. Then the last trip was very poor, even working the deep water. It is weird feeling the bottom transition from sand, to rock, to clam beds. I haven't been out for a week or two to this spot. It will be interesting to see if it had dried up that quickly and or if the algae bloom has become more of an issue. Overall it was a gas and the finds were more than I would have hoped for, when starting out. It is really fun to look in that scoop as it comes up, or eyeball into the dump tub! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread