water help please....

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I finely received my water scoop yesterday and it is still pretty rough trying to land a recovery I'm using the AT Pro and just am not having any luck. I hear signals but can not seem to get what ever they are in my scoop. :help: Any suggestions or tricks you can share with me?
Thanks,

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of scoop? I could have helped ya there. :icon_thumleft:
Once you locate your target try to center your coil on it. Then put your toe at the back of the coil. Then slide your scoop in front of your toe and scoop! If you want to talk on the phone let me know.

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Xmark,
Describe what you're doing, so we know what pointers to offer.

Steve :-)

OP
OP
xmarks73

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike from MI said:
What kind of scoop? I could have helped ya there. :icon_thumleft:
Once you locate your target try to center your coil on it. Then put your toe at the back of the coil. Then slide your scoop in front of your toe and scoop! If you want to talk on the phone let me know.
Thanks mike, I will have to try tht. I was trying to park my scoop behind my detector head and think i was moving around to much. here is the scoop i bought on ebay.

Attachments

• sccop.jpg
    sccop.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 130
OP
OP
xmarks73

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kaptainkosmic said:
Xmark,
Describe what you're doing, so we know what pointers to offer.

Thanks steve. I would pin point my item and park my scoop behind my coil and scoop. both days I have went, the water was a lil choppy though. Maybe I need to start in a pond instead of a lake. IDK. :dontknow:

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Don't wait for calm water, waves are just part of the deal. I use the side of my foot instead of my toes because I kept cutting the toes off from my water shoes, along with hide occassionally. But the principle is the same. Actually the side of your ft may be better with the at pro because it has a double d coil and pinpoints off the toe or heel of the coil. Once you have determined where the target is put your scoop in behind or beside your foot and take a bite, remove the scoop and check the hole, if the target is gone its in your scoop. If its still there rotate around the hole 90 degrees and try again. Keep rotating 90 degree's with each try. This helps when the target is stuck in the side of the hole because the point of the scoop scrapes a different side each time you rotate. Always remember to double check your holes (may be more than 1 target) and always check any bottom that you may have dumped off to the side before refilling your hole.
If you're hunting in water that has sand ontop of heavy clay/marl try scooping just deep enough to get the light stuff off from the top usually targets have to have been there along time to settle into the clay/marl. And you will quickly find that it takes a long time to get the clay/marl to break down in your scoop. (you can help this by making sure there is some gravel mixed in)

I have found that it is very important to get the target on the first scoop when you can. Usually if you don't get it on the first try it will take several more. If you hunt in deep sand like Lk. Mich. you can loose targets by missing them because the sides cave in to fill the hole almost instantly and if the target falls to the bottom of the hole you just scooped it could be out of range for your detector. I always make several attempts even if I have lost the target just in case.

OP
OP
xmarks73

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kaptainkosmic said:
Don't wait for calm water, waves are just part of the deal. I use the side of my foot instead of my toes because I kept cutting the toes off from my water shoes, along with hide occassionally. But the principle is the same. Actually the side of your ft may be better with the at pro because it has a double d coil and pinpoints off the toe or heel of the coil. Once you have determined where the target is put your scoop in behind or beside your foot and take a bite, remove the scoop and check the hole, if the target is gone its in your scoop. If its still there rotate around the hole 90 degrees and try again. Keep rotating 90 degree's with each try. This helps when the target is stuck in the side of the hole because the point of the scoop scrapes a different side each time you rotate. Always remember to double check your holes (may be more than 1 target) and always check any bottom that you may have dumped off to the side before refilling your hole.
If you're hunting in water that has sand ontop of heavy clay/marl try scooping just deep enough to get the light stuff off from the top usually targets have to have been there along time to settle into the clay/marl. And you will quickly find that it takes a long time to get the clay/marl to break down in your scoop. (you can help this by making sure there is some gravel mixed in)

I have found that it is very important to get the target on the first scoop when you can. Usually if you don't get it on the first try it will take several more. If you hunt in deep sand like Lk. Mich. you can loose targets by missing them because the sides cave in to fill the hole almost instantly and if the target falls to the bottom of the hole you just scooped it could be out of range for your detector. I always make several attempts even if I have lost the target just in case.

Thanks Steve! great tips! Love the rotation tip. Never thought of that. :icon_thumleft:

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Xmarks,
Please keep us posted on your progress and any ideas you have sometimes it takes a different perspective to come with a very useful solution that could help everyone. Also just plain interested in your progress.

I tell everyone if it looks real easy. it's because the person doing it is real good at it! With some time under your belt that will be you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread