Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend I decided to take a break from the heat and cool off in a creek where I have had success before. It runs through the site of a colonial plantation with Revolutionary War history. In the past I have hit the exposed hard pan (bedrock) areas pretty hard and for the most part passed over depressions that had filled in with sand. Saturday I worked some of those spots and found some eroded "bowls" in the hard pan under the sand, that act as catch basins for heavier objects like gravel and metals.

I was working one of the bowls with the pinpointer and I found a solid cast iron ball that looked to me like case shot or grape shot that is sometimes found at Civil War sites

6.jpg

After spending more time at that spot and finding only trash I decided to leave the creek and head to another one to sift for shark teeth. While taking a lunch break I decided to go back to the creek and try to find another shot or two, which turned out to be a great decision. As I fanned away the sand and detected other catch basins I found another shot, then another and another-for a total of fourteen from an area about fifteen feet in diameter.

5.jpg

Thanks to an id and some very useful information from TheCannonballGuy I learned that what I found was quilted grapeshot from the Revolutionary War. They would have been stacked around an iron shaft with a disk on the bottom, wrapped in canvas and secured with a wire mesh. A charge would be loaded in a cannon, along with the grapeshot projectile and fired. The shot would spray out in all directions similar to a shotgun shell and cut down anything in their path-sounds like a very nasty but effective weapon to me!

sss.jpg aaa.jpg

In between grapeshot finds the AT Pro and Propointer helped me locate a few 18th century civilian relics, like this pewter knee buckle frame. Other than the one dent it is in exceptional condition for a pewter artifact, thanks to it being submerged in freshwater for over 200 years. Notice the makers' mark on the back side.

1.jpg 2.jpg

This civilian pewter coat-sized button was a welcome find and is also in superb condition. It has an intact molded shank, which I believe dates it to the first half of the 18th century.

8.jpg 7.jpg

This small brass relic is a head-scratcher. :icon_scratch: I found one very similar to it last year at the same site (see the pictures below), and I was thinking that it was the frame of a wax seal. I'm not so sure now; could they be chess pieces? The one I found last year looks like a pawn and the other one could possibly be a rook.

3.jpg 10.jpg

11.jpg

A dropped .69 caliber round ball, pieces of an iron pot, a strap hinge and a pottery shard were the other keepers for the day

4.jpg

What a pleasant break from hot fields and poison oak-laden, overgrown woods-and the results were so much better. I couldn't have asked for a better day & look forward to getting back to the creek.

Last edited:
Upvote 30

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer hunt DND! The grapeshot is really sweet.

I am uncertain about those being wax seals... aren't they usually round? All of the ones I see on Google are round or rounded. You have two, not one, but two... and both are rectangular... and slightly different from each other. To me, that would seem to indicate that they are not seals... but I do not have the faintest idea what they are. Whatever they are, they are cool and old!

Best of luck to you sir!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Glen! Incredible find with that case shot. Depending on the area that you found those, I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same shot! Either way the sheer quantity is incredible.

My gut says this is a banner find. I've seen a couple grapeshot in posts but never 14. I don't know if anyone else is equally impressed but I think it's Banner worthy.

I'm sending in vote.

Congrats

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glen! Incredible find with that case shot. Depending on the area that you found those, I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same shot! Either way the sheer quantity is incredible.

My gut says this is a banner find. I've seen a couple grapeshot in posts but never 14. I don't know if anyone else is equally impressed but I think it's Banner worthy.

I'm sending in vote.

Congrats

Thanks Steve. I have edited my post to explain that they were all found in a small area of the creek, about fifteen feet in diameter. I'm certain there are more there and I plan to go back with my 250 pound magnet and find the rest. I'm pretty sure that they all came from the same projectile.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt DND! The grapeshot is really sweet.

I am uncertain about those being wax seals... aren't they usually round? All of the ones I see on Google are round or rounded. You have two, not one, but two... and both are rectangular... and slightly different from each other. To me, that would seem to indicate that they are not seals... but I do not have the faintest idea what they are. Whatever they are, they are cool and old!

Best of luck to you sir!

I appreciate it Tom. As I said in my post, they're some real head scratchers and I'd love to find out what they are.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that grape shot is super cool! Thanks for posting the pic of how it was used. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the path of that!

Congrats on the other great finds as well!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That mystery brass item looks quite similar to leather ornaments I've recovered, but I've never seen a loop on one like that. Since it doesn't appear to have any hooks it was probably some kind of decorative strap guide.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mystery brass item looks quite similar to leather ornaments I've recovered, but I've never seen a loop on one like that. Since it doesn't appear to have any hooks it was probably some kind of decorative strap guide.

Thanks for the input, Bill-I never considered that possibility.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
love the knee buckle.amazing how pewter holds up in water.nice job! hope ya can get an ID on the cast brass pieces!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Splendid relic recoveries there mate! So much fun in the creek. Now that is COOL!:headbang:

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to see the complete post Glenn, quite an impressive group, never would have guessed when you texted me the first ball. Buckle is spectacular... BANNER for the intact case shot. Hopefully a return trip soon

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see the complete post Glenn, quite an impressive group, never would have guessed when you texted me the first ball. Buckle is spectacular... BANNER for the intact case shot. Hopefully a return trip soon

Thanks Jon; I know there are more where those came from.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass piece is a 'leather slide/guide', like a belt slide but held leather straps together on a horse, late 18th-19th C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass piece is a 'leather slide/guide', like a belt slide but held leather straps together on a horse, late 18th-19th C.

Thanks Cru-now I know! Bill D was pretty close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread