Water hunting with DFX

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Hi guys...

My question is...

Next month I am getting a DFX and I want to water hunt with it. I live just a couple miles from Lake Michigan, I plan to get chest waders and a sand scoop and go out into the lake probably knee deep and do not want to ruin the machine so...

How do you protect the dfx from the water? I know the coil and shaft are waterproof but what about the control box and meter screen? If it gets splashed or I drop the detector...GAME OVER lol

Thank you

HH
MichiganRob

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can protect it from the rain and, maybe, splashing by using the covers avalable for it or even ziploc baggies or plastic grocery bags. I would not advise taking it into any rough water or anything deeper than your knees...and if you do hold on tight. The screen and control box are both susceptible to water damage. Personally, I would only go as far as the wet sand. If you do take it into the water do not tip the coil above the screen/control box since water could go up the shaft to the electronics.

HH!
TBGO

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have use plastic baggies to help protect the control box and screen. I would not recommend going out to deep. If you are wantig to detect the water you should think about getting another detector for the water. Then you have a choice of what you would like to do....Matt

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
rob i would recogmend that you don't take you dxf into the water. one mistake and you need a new detector. i hunt in lake michigan quite often and believe me you can get knocked off your feet very easily. if you really want to hunt the water get a water machine or both.

just my opinion.

hh steve :-)

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well they all have said it, don't try to make a water machine out of a land machine it just doesn't work. Sooner or later it will be fried...........

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you're going to take it in the water, just send it to me, either way you won't be using it anymore. LOL
seriously, that machine is a little expensive to chance taking it in water, I'd buy a water machine

Sniffer

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call me crazy, but I've done it. It is impossible to take a water machine (I have one) into trashy rocky areas. The iron overloads it and it is useless. I took my machine up to shin deep and it worked great. I got lots of wheats, relics, an anchor, and a WW II cub scout ring. I rubberbanded a plastic ziplock (be careful, water from you arm can drip down into it) and was fine. I only had trouble when I was stuck in the mud with My MD in waist deep traveling to an island. It was a close call, losing my balance trying to escape. So, keep out of the deep and stick to the rocks. (unless your talking about sand)

HH
-Gc

OP
OP
MichiganRob

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Okay, I get the message... Keep the DFX outta the water and save up for a beach hunter :thumbsup:

Thank you all for slapping me around a bit :icon_jokercolor:

I will follow your advice

HH
MichiganRob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread