Stuart82

Jun 16, 2016
Western Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

*I originally posted this on Service and Repair, but it may get more veiws here...

A buddy and I have started to try our AtPros in the creek by our house. He is able to go the full time (about an hour) and have no issues with his machine. I, however, cannot go more than 10 minutes before mine starts to get real noisy (false signals) in and out of the water. This is happening with just getting the coil submerged and not the whole machine, although I am sitting the machine in the water and it is floating while locating a target and not fully submerged or pressurized with water. The 5x8 coil that I have been using is a little beat up and may have a hairline fracture or 2 that is letting water seep in. Would that be the issue? With the little electronics knowledge that I do have, it would figure that there would be no difference if the water is in the coil or outside of the coil with only the plastic to protect it. The coil is just wound wire, correct?

Upvote 0

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
Try swapping coils with your buddy and see who has the problem.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

*I originally posted this on Service and Repair, but it may get more veiws here...

A buddy and I have started to try our AtPros in the creek by our house. He is able to go the full time (about an hour) and have no issues with his machine. I, however, cannot go more than 10 minutes before mine starts to get real noisy (false signals) in and out of the water. This is happening with just getting the coil submerged and not the whole machine, although I am sitting the machine in the water and it is floating while locating a target and not fully submerged or pressurized with water. The 5x8 coil that I have been using is a little beat up and may have a hairline fracture or 2 that is letting water seep in. Would that be the issue? With the little electronics knowledge that I do have, it would figure that there would be no difference if the water is in the coil or outside of the coil with only the plastic to protect it. The coil is just wound wire, correct?

The coil is just two coils of magnet wire encased in poured epoxy. You can use standard epoxy thinned by either warming it or adding a small amount of denatured alcohol so that you can pour it down into the crack to repair the coil. Thin CA glue would work too. Just make sure it's dry beforehand (leave the coil bottom facing the sun, and throw a white towel over the unit itself so it doesn't get hot) so you don't trap moisture in there.

You should also double check the connectors to make sure the o-rings are clean and no moisture is sneaking into the connector.

Also remove the battery door and check for any condensation inside the unit.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a huge difference wether the water is in the inside or the outside of the coil. In fact it can cause exactly what your describing. Jim hit it on the head, swap coils with your buddy and within 10 minutes you will know if it's the problem or not.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swapping of the coils is the best answers, but I think we already know that your problem is the cracks that you talked about.

The other issue could be crap trapped between the coil and coil cover, try taking that off and giving it a good cleaning.

Let us know the outcome, as I'm curious to know what happened.

OP
OP
Stuart82

Stuart82

Jun 16, 2016
Western Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for your responses and recommendations!

I will update as soon as I have a chance to attempt to troubleshoot again.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its fresh water - if you put in the sun - hopefully it will dry out -if water has not damaged it after drying
try getting some water proof sealer or caulk and cover it real good
when younger - I had cracked my land machines coil by banging against a tree - it used to go hay wire
in heavy early morning dew and other wet spots - I left in sun then sealed it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread