water mds

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buying a water detector,the ones i'm looking at are a used(lifetime warrenty)fisher,model 1280x for $525.00,new tiger shark(lifetime warrenty)for $550.00 are something called a Headhunter Pirate for under $300.00.open to suggestions,maybe something else?

Upvote 0

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
Hi Bomber, I don't think the Pirate is actually waterproof. It will take a dunking but that's about it. I'd ask Sandman he seems to give the Tiger good marks. I've been thinking about that one. I don't think he likes Fishers service anymore. I could be wrong on this one. If I am, sorry. Rob

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey rob,hope all is well,i probably should have put this under"beach and shallow water"

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
The tiger shark has the ability to be used in salt or fresh water which is a plus. I haven't had any personal experience with it but have heard good things about that machine.

wright

Apr 27, 2005
I have both the tiger shark and a fisher cz-20. I hunt in will and cook county. I like both detectors. The cz-20 was much better on vacation at virginia beach The tiger shark was way to noisy for me. In freshwater I like both machines but probably give the edge to the tiger shark. I like having a threshold sound. I would love to get a clean sweep coil for the tiger shark but unfortunatly for me tesoro does not make them for this machine anymore :(
I have tried to find a used one for a while with no luck. I use both machins belt mounted. I advise to get yourself a good big scoop. I use the sunspot scoop and really like it.

why I like cz-20
1. salt water use
2. 3 tones
3.pinpointing capibility (even though I don't use it to often)
4. built like a tank

why I like the Tiger Shark
1. Price
2. Warrenty
3. Changable coils (Again I wish they still made a cleansweep)
4. Threshold

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
Bomber, I have 2 fisher 1280,s. They don,t miss much. But they are terriable in salt water. In fresh water they are good. My biggest problem I have had is you never know when the seal might leak. It happened to me a few times. Not good,full of muddy water,and rust. Now I have a excal. 1000, great detector. No more nails,tacks or bobby pins. Yes they cost more but you can get your money back quick in gold rings. Good luck. Mike.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
i bought a tiger shark not too long ago and i'm very happy with most of it. the only thing i dont like are the headphones. i have a personal aversion to big goofy headphones. aside from that, it works great and is 100% submersible.

i took mine to a saltwater beach and goofed around with it for a while. i took a mask and snorkel. when i would need to adjust the mask or something i'd just let go of the detector and let it lay on the sand underwater. its nice to not worry about it getting ruined by water.

i tried it on land and it behaves well under power lines, something i cant say for my more expensive fisher. i found stuff in my very small front yard with the tigershark that the fisher missed. you can coinshoot with it by just crankng the disc all the way up. it will still find dimes and larger coins without making you dig many pulltabs.

its well made, fairly rugged and has one heck of a warranty. fisher just downgraded their warranty so what's that got to say about their beleife in their product?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i just seem to like MINELAB and i think the best DETECTOR is the ..Minelab Sovereign..That my thoughts.......................... I KNOW THE SOVEREIGN IS NOT A WATER DETECTOR BUT IF I WAS TO WATER HUNT AGAIN IT WOULD BE THE MINELAB EXCALIBUR................................................ ............... === Jim ===

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Sovereign at the beach, but since the housing is not waterproof, and I do not trust myself to make a water proof housing, I use and love my 2 Excals in the water.

;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1280 does not have any lifetime warranty anymore, being run by the folks that run Bounty Hunter. I still have 2 of them that I let family members use. It has one tone, so you don't know what it is when you use low disc. It will null out a good target near iron if you disc. out the iron. It is however built like a tank and should last years if the gaskets don't fail. Seems to last all summer on a set of batteries.

Tiger Shark is my back up detector when I use the Excal 1000. I have a 800 that I only use while diving. I am lucky in having a Clean Sweep Coil that does fast work at a dry sand beach to beat out the competion to the finds. In the surf this coil works you cause it's 18 X 3" and flat. When there is sand moving around I use the Excal. It has a Lifetime Warranty unlike the Fisher and I even perfer it over the CZ20. Tip: Smear silicone sealant over the pushpoint rubber button on the CZ20, they'll leak on you. Fisher stopped repairing these, but are doing it now for $$$. The Tiger Shark has a saltwater mode which some guys forget to switch on. Also the Sensitivity control is inside near the batteries. Never touch it! It was calibrated at Tesoro's at max. Moving it trying to get more depth usually makes it unstable.

Stay away from the Titian's, Cobra's. The Beach Hunter isn't bad if you order it with the weighted coil, but it can also get touchy in some locations with a lot of black sand and saltwater waves just like the 1280.

Call Tony at tcmetaldetectors.com

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Lancaster, Pa and Ocean View, De
Detector(s) used
Minelab Elite, Minelab GT, Teknetics T2, Fisher CZ 3D and Fisher 1236 X2
Hi Bomber, you stated you were buying used detectors, you will not have any warranty then, the lifetime warranties are for the original owner only. That is the advantage of buying new. There are still some Fisher 1280 models left with the lifetime warranty, you have to ask as new production are a very short warranty period. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread