Water RESISTANT coil -How screwed am I?

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So shortly after I got my "new to me" Xterra 30, I got a 10.5" DD coil for it as well. I knew the 9" concentric it came with was water proof, but in my excitement, I didn't stop to check if my new DD was as well. Thankfully I haven't taken it very deep, 6" max, but it has DEFINITELY been fully submerged, for maybe a minute at a time. It was fresh water, and pretty clean for a lake. Anyone have any experience? Am I screwed? Can I just let it bake/dry in the car for a few hot days? And what signs should I be keeping an eye out for to know if/when I have an issue? Thanks

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coils are water proof but since you bought it used it wouldn't hurt to smear some silicone sealant to the cable at the coil. Don't leave any detector or coil in hot car. It will help to clean out coil cover often to remove black sand.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About as screwed as one can get! That's what I did not like about the Xterra line. The 10.5 DD and the 5x10 are NOT waterproof. The best you can do is keep it inside air conditioned house and hope it dries out.

Last edited:

Dominoe

Mar 20, 2004
Oklahoma
If you want to dry out anything electronic in nature get a large zip lock bag and put the item inside, add a couple cups of dry white rice and seal it up. The rice will extract all the moisture from the item in about 3-4 days.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only bad experience with a coil and moisture was a small crack that let rain water from wet grass in. The detector began falsing and carrying on like crazy. If your is working normally, you may have lucked out.
luvdux

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with the manufacturer of the coil to see if it's waterproof. Most modern coils are, but not all.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So shortly after I got my "new to me" Xterra 30, I got a 10.5" DD coil for it as well. I knew the 9" concentric it came with was water proof, but in my excitement, I didn't stop to check if my new DD was as well. Thankfully I haven't taken it very deep, 6" max, but it has DEFINITELY been fully submerged, for maybe a minute at a time. It was fresh water, and pretty clean for a lake. Anyone have any experience? Am I screwed? Can I just let it bake/dry in the car for a few hot days? And what signs should I be keeping an eye out for to know if/when I have an issue? Thanks

If you haven't had an issue yet, most likely you are safe. In a shallow stream/lake situation, I have always used plastic garbage or leaf bags on my gold detector coils - works great!

elliottAM

Jul 20, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you want to dry out anything electronic in nature get a large zip lock bag and put the item inside, add a couple cups of dry white rice and seal it up. The rice will extract all the moisture from the item in about 3-4 days.

New here, but as someone who finds myself accidentally submerging electronics way too often, I personally have a few pounds of color indicating silica desiccant around for this. Rice IS a desiccant that'll work in a pinch, and you're far more likely to have it around, but you can get a quart of silica desiccant for about $13, it'll absorb any moisture much more rapidly than rice, and it can be reused after 3-4 hours in the oven. This is actually probably not much help this time around, though if you have Amazon prime...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would think so wouldn't you Cudamark! But not the 10.5 DD or the 5x10. Sounds absurd to me

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spray the crap out of it with a can of bedliner and seal that puppy up yourself. I can't imagine making a coil that you can't even hunt wet grass with. What were they thinking?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would avoid those non-proofed coils !

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would avoid those non-proofed coils !

I did! That's why I sold it. Your locked in to using only ML could because of proprietary chip inside. Coiltek makes a 6" and 15" that are waterproof. Not much variety in between the extreme sizes.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with fletch! Never cared for the XT coils not being fully waterproof, especially when you can buy a $100 BH tracker 4 with a fully waterproof coil. Some forum members make you feel like a communist if you use a NEL on a Minelab. I have since got a NEL Sharpshooter for my Tek Omega, & it is lighter than my X-Terra coils, and fully waterproof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions