Water targets reachable now but sharks galore

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sand moved onto beach exposing targets looking good for water hunting but we are currently infested with sharks!
Sightings as close as 40 feet from shore, feeding and thrashing about.
Managed to get in knee deep which quickly turned into chest deep due to swells.
Seeing sharks closer then 20 feet upon entering the water will change your tune really quickly.
Some risks aren't worth taking!

Upvote 0

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow yea not worth getting bit heard about some guy lately getting bit also

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In water hunting no risk i worth taking. You are just another snack on the list, slow moving and easy to pick off. Stay safe and out of that water. I also remember seeing a show where great whites would beach themselves to get seals, you mite want to stay back form the edge also. Not sure what kind of sharks you have there but I trust nothing that can kill me. Be safe my friend! HH 2 U.....

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
sandnut said:
In water hunting no risk i worth taking. You are just another snack on the list, slow moving and easy to pick off. Stay safe and out of that water. I also remember seeing a show where great whites would beach themselves to get seals, you mite want to stay back form the edge also. Not sure what kind of sharks you have there but I trust nothing that can kill me. Be safe my friend! HH 2 U.....

True, true. We are in east coast south FL .. great white sightings in the rough area of. Motherboard Florida believe it or not, but tens of thousands of sharks reported migrating through our area with plenty of sightings.
We've got spinners, bulls hammerheads, and black tips feeding at our local sushi beach bar right now and it's a little nerve racking when you see the surfers rushing out of the water!
Be safe to all of you as well and good luck!

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Woops! I meant Northern Florida, not motherboard! Spell check, what the heck!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have lots of sharks in Hawaii, but seldom see them and there are less attacks as the sharks tend to stay deep and have a lot to eat. Most attacks occur in the boat by a shark upset after having his meal taken away and being pulled out of the water. The ones that live on the reefs are beneficial and are seldom a threat. It is the pelagic one's that are dangerous and responsible for most attacks. Tiger sharks are most apt to hit boggy boards head on as they look like turtles, especially when the surfers are wearing small feet and hand fins. Also short boarders occasionally get munched on as they are deeper out and often have limbs dangling in the water.

Florida is a very different situation as the shallow waters are over fished and sharks come in shallow to feed and breed. I would say that bull sharks would be the most dangerous as they can swim up rivers and attack. Next would be tiger sharks as they are unpredictable and will eat most anything. As a hammer head has small cat like teeth, they will do the least damage, and you and shark can be pulled back to shore if it does not let go.

A small spinner or black tip would most only be a problem if they were excited by what you stirred up with your scoop. I hunt in a shallow protected lagoon and usually have several large fish follow me while detecting to snatch what I stir up.

I have not heard of any detectorist being snipped by other than a small shark (most likely accidently). I suspect that the larger sharks would stay away as they sense electromagnetic fields and are sensitive to noise. If they were attracted to the sounds, you would hear of a large number of detectorists being hit by shark.
If you treasure hunt, where there are a lot of sharks, I would be extra cautious at sunrise and toward sunset and evening as that is when they mostly feed.

Last edited:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're no more a target now than any other part of year. Hunt on!

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advise and opinion's to all of you for responding.
I do know that they are usually close by all year long but seeing them feeding right off shore tends to make you think twice. Granted that they are mostly only interested in fish and other sea life, but it's hard not to think of others who were bitten as a result of mistaken identity.
Probably fine in all reality but with all the fish being chomped up into pieces in your hunting hole kind of makes me think I wouldn't want to swim in chummed water and the only difference would be weather or not they were attracted or repelled by my P.I.'s sound waves.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
420k.gif

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah I saw 2 beached right whales on Sunday that were attacked by sharks 50 yards off shore. In St. Augustine. The water was bloody during the attacks and both died despite efforts to save them, FWC showed up and called in some experts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread