surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Rusian,

They're a huge pain to dig, at that diameter. Really, really close quarters. You can't use a regular spade, unless you're filling buckets & have someone to help pull them.

Then there is the vision of the Jamestown well. The Dig: March 2013--Historic Jamestowne
That being said, I've dug 2 by myself, down to about the 10 foot level, before giving up & fillin em back in.

Got 2 nondescript TOC bottles for my efforts.

jamestown_slate_2013_big_w.jpg

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found old water well lined with bricks on the old farm. It's about 3 ft. diameter and 4 ft. deep. Filed in with dirt and trash. I am wondering if it is worth digging out the trash. Do you think I can find anything interesting in there?

I'd be worried about finding a body or a skeleton under the trash and dirt.. :skullflag:

OP
OP
R

Ruslanmd

Jan 24, 2013
Trappe, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting video. I am not sure if I want to dig it out but.. Thank you for advise.

OP
OP
R

Ruslanmd

Jan 24, 2013
Trappe, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skeleton pictures on TN? Everything is possible .Trash, dirt and mud more like it.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only way you will know for certain is to dig it. Could be an awful lot of work for little or nothing - OR?
luvsdux

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like surf was saying, 3' diameter is tough to dig. Take a post hole digger and carefully make a test hole see if you can find out how old the items your finding are. That should help you to figure out if its worth digging out completely.

OP
OP
R

Ruslanmd

Jan 24, 2013
Trappe, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"- OR?"-is the most interesting thing

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy who suggested the post hole digger has the best idea. I've tried to dig a couple of what I thought was water wells. Gave up both times after 4-5 feet. When you start hitting rotten logs and limbs, forget it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread