Waterflow and the BGT prospector

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all, I was just wondering how the BGT prospector runs in lower waterflow situations. I have a keen a 52, that when the water runs too slow is totally useless. Will the BGT be the same? I guess I'm looking for an alternative to my keen when there's not enough flow or slope available. I have a gold cube and that's great but I don't like lugging it out to some of the places I want to go dig and not have to classify.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a prospector. In low flow I run my Angus MacKirk. If you don't have enough water for your Keene you probably wont have enough for a prospector either.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To keep the fluid beds fluidized ,you a pretty good flow of h2o. In slack water situations if you don't or can't go motorized try a River rocker[not a rocker box]. That is what they are made for. They are as effective as a good sluice box. Plans all over the web and occasional a built one on eBay

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a prospector. In low flow I run my Angus MacKirk. If you don't have enough water for your Keene you probably wont have enough for a prospector either.
Low flow situations.......A plastic drop riffle sluice is key

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I too have had good experience with an Angus Mackirk in low flow situations but a Bazooka SuperMini only needs 3 gallons per min thru the fluid bed so that's a great option too and is what I use now since classifying is sorta optional :-) and it grabs the fine gold sooo well.

Either way, my blunt advice is to sell the A52 unless you are an expert at running and customizing it.

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When it comes to the velocity versus volume is velocity as important with the BGT models? I think one of the big problems I have here is slow flowing streams, that don't have all that much drop.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my experience, if you have a decent water volume, you can create enough velocity quickly with a bit of a dam. It only needs a little drop/velocity to keep the trap fluid due to the scoop shape. A lack of natural velocity will have you pushing more rocks off the grizzly but it's still much less work/time than classifying. I often add those rocks to my dam and before I know it, I have enough dam for all the velocity I desire!

All that said above is mostly in the context of my 30" Prospector. The Supermini will run just fine on what seems like almost no flow or velocity and so you may find it a nice second sluice next to your higher volume gear...as it is for me.

Maybe someone here can provide a video of a lower flow and or lower velocity set up in a real creek with either sluice?? (I might be able to later this week depending on work, weather and life.)

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I too have had good experience with an Angus Mackirk in low flow situations but a Bazooka SuperMini only needs 3 gallons per min thru the fluid bed so that's a great option too and is what I use now since classifying is sorta optional :-) and it grabs the fine gold sooo well.

Either way, my blunt advice is to sell the A52 unless you are an expert at running and customizing it.

We probably all have a somewhat different definition of what slow water is but I think most of us can agree there are better options now days than the A52. Unless like Kevin says you are an expert at setting that thing up. LeTrap, Angus MacKirk, Bazooka all make sluices that are very easy to set up, operate and clean out without taking anything apart.

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So when Im looking at the BGT site, I now see the "Sniper" line. Looks like they would be a good box for low flow because of their wide flare but small taper. Does that sound like a fair assessment?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a super mini and the sniper appears to be a cross between the super mini and the prospector. I have not used mine alot but the times I have it worked well in somewhat low flow conditions. If the water level is extremely low a good dam setup up, a little more pitch and clearing of the grizzlies more often and it will still catch the gold. If they would have had the sniper when I got mine that is what I would have opted for. Hope this helps.

GM

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks GM!

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I originally went with the Super Mini because that was what I could afford at the time. I was never fully satisfied with it because I wanted more production and ended up buying a prospector anyway. Long story short I spent an extra $125 or what ever a Super Mini is for no reason, I should have just sucked it up and gone with the prospector originally. I do like the Super for sampling and such when I am out with just a day pack.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So when Im looking at the BGT site, I now see the "Sniper" line. Looks like they would be a good box for low flow because of their wide flare but small taper. Does that sound like a fair assessment?
Hopefully you are right....the one fact I have from the BGT guys is that the fluid bed in the Sniper is 4X the size of the one in the Supermini. More soon as I have one on order...!

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my experience, if you have a decent water volume, you can create enough velocity quickly with a bit of a dam. It only needs a little drop/velocity to keep the trap fluid due to the scoop shape. A lack of natural velocity will have you pushing more rocks off the grizzly but it's still much less work/time than classifying. I often add those rocks to my dam and before I know it, I have enough dam for all the velocity I desire!

All that said above is mostly in the context of my 30" Prospector. The Supermini will run just fine on what seems like almost no flow or velocity and so you may find it a nice second sluice next to your higher volume gear...as it is for me.

Maybe someone here can provide a video of a lower flow and or lower velocity set up in a real creek with either sluice?? (I might be able to later this week depending on work, weather and life.)

I could possibly help you with this Kevin -- I work as a video editor, and have a nice camera. Would just be a schedule thing...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Leonard, I'd love to take you up on that...I'll PM you :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread