Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this thread in two other locations and figured I might as well put it in the mod forum while I'm at it.......
probably should'a put it here in the first place.

----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

"Has Anyone Ever Waterproofed Their detector??

I have a Bounty Hunter machine (202) I want to waterproof to try some underwater hunting this year.
I have a couple of old swimming holes I have good feelings about. Plus, I've never done any real underwater hunting and I'm dying to give it a try now that summer is finally upon us.

I've seen a few YouTube videos and have a few ideas incubating but I'm wondering if anyone here has actually done this successfully and if so, I would love to hear about it.

I found one old thread here by a guy who said he filled all of the holes with marine epoxy and it worked great. The thing is, I tried to PM him and found out he's been banned from the site. So I'm not convinced. Although technically, it should work (at least for a while) the description isn't too detailed. I'm not going to risk my machine without knowing full well that it will NOT leak.

Although I'm not in love with this particular detector I still don't wanna' fry it if I can help it. It's still fine for a spare and/or kid machine and it has found me a few really nice treasures. But, I AM willing to take that risk. It didn't cost me much at all. Used BH's are a dime a dozen and I can always get a cheap replacement if I ever wanted to.

So the end goal is to make it fully submersible and able to safely use headphones. If anyone had successfully done a job like this I would truly love to hear all about it.

Thanks in advance and HH. "

*****UPDATE******

I've already decided that the only smart way to do the headphones is to go wireless.

Last edited:

yarglawai

Mar 6, 2011
Hi,
Why don't you try (without making any commercials) with a waterproof pinpointer MD like Vibra Tector 730?
Is is worth risking frying your MD for diving holes?

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,
Why don't you try (without making any commercials) with a waterproof pinpointer MD like Vibra Tector 730?
Is is worth risking frying your MD for diving holes?

Well, the detector I'm "risking" is my least favorite machine and I didn't pay much for it at all so yes, it's worth the risk to me. Plus, I have no intention of submerging it until I KNOW it won't leak.

I haven't put it together yet but I have everything I need. That hardest part was finding the right size watertight box. I found a generic equivalent to an "Otterbox" that's exactly the right size, depth and shape and is also really tough and well built.

The downside is I'll have to find one overall setting and if I need to make adjustments I'll have to open it up, make the adjustments and then re seal it. But that's no big deal.

Gotta' get a scoop too. I may just build one. I have a few neat ideas. I actually enjoy modifying or making stuff.

I was even contemplating a few layers of shrink wrap for my pinpointer. I have a machine at work and we have the super heavy/thick Reynolds wrap. It's really tough.
3-4 layers should do the job.

Plus I don't plan on diving too deep; at least not from the start. I'll have to see how it goes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread