Banned
Sep 1, 2014
dana point/laguna niguel
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Ace 250, CEIA CMD PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I just bought myself a bounty hunter tracker (strictly for cache and treasure hunting) and I was wondering if anyone knows how to waterproof it.
Probably by putting the control box in a lunch box, or plastic box, and the coil in a plastic compartment. If anyone has done this before, it would be greatly appreciated.

garyw-123

Greenie
Jun 18, 2012
Bathurst N.B.
Detector(s) used
1100 bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good question and i cant help .
I asked one time if the coil of my bounty hunter 1100 gold
was waterproof and did never get an answer .
Hope you dont mind me cutting in on your thread .

OP
OP
rexy

rexy

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
dana point/laguna niguel
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, there isn't much info out there about bounty hunters, even though they sell the most metal detectors in the world(behind radioshack). But their price should attract more advanced detectorists so they could add more options, like thres hold, added freq, and whatever else anyone wants to put on one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question and i cant help .
I asked one time if the coil of my bounty hunter 1100 gold
was waterproof and did never get an answer .
Hope you dont mind me cutting in on your thread .
Coil is waterproof (google is your friend) it is not a salt water detector, it ss a single low freq detector, salt at beaches will drive it crazy, you have to turn sensitivity way down to use it on salt water beaches and its depth is not great to begin with so you will most depth...

Gold and silver jewelry at beaches sinks fairly quickly so depth is important on saltwater beaches..

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used plastic wrap in my fisher F4 control box and secured it with 2 strips of electrical tape.. It did not like the rain. The coil was waterproof. I looked at the manual on the tracker 4 and on page 3 it shows the detector components and lists the coil as 8" waterproof coil"

Hope this helps

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used plastic wrap in my fisher F4 control box and secured it with 2 strips of electrical tape.. It did not like the rain. The coil was waterproof. I looked at the manual on the tracker 4 and on page 3 it shows the detector components and lists the coil as 8" waterproof coil"

Hope this helps
Hope you leave holes on bottom side or plastic will develop condensation inside control box in the heat...

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an older Bounty Hunter Land Star I use as a back-up, and the coil is submersible (had it in water within a few inches of the control box with no problems). Don't know if you can ever get the control box completely waterproof, but maybe rig something to keep the rain off. Welcome to Tnet & happy huntin :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
rexy

rexy

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
dana point/laguna niguel
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.

I sealed the holes, knobs, and headphones with rubberized cement(marine epoxy), and tried it underwater. It worked perfectly, good depth, and surprisingly stable. Found a quarter at 6 inches. And also found a nice sterling silver locket, about 4 inches into the sand, at that point, I was snorkeling at about 6 feet deep.

thU83YANH5.jpg thU6VJN1K9.jpg thH70TDX8U.jpg

Attachments

• thZ4EOZ1SX.jpg
    thZ4EOZ1SX.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 497

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone.

I sealed the holes, knobs, and headphones with rubberized cement(marine epoxy), and tried it underwater. It worked perfectly, good depth, and surprisingly stable. Found a quarter at 6 inches. And also found a nice sterling silver locket, about 4 inches into the sand, at that point, I was snorkeling at about 6 feet deep.

]

Really nice finds.

I've been wanting to waterproof one of my BH machines for this summer. I have a Land Star clone, a Pioneer 202 and a Tracker IV.
I'm leaning toward the 202 because it's my least favorite of the bunch and I won't shed any tears if it gets fried.

But I have a number of spots I know hold underwater treasures and I'm determined to dig some of them up this year. The water is still pretty cold at this point, especially at one spot. It's a heavily shaded stream where MANY people (including me) used to swim over 30 years ago. people swam there long before I ever did too so it should be a sweet spot if my hunch is right.

So, what actual brand of marine sealer/epoxy did you use??

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread