Wave action off the east coast...

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Okay old time divers, what's your opinion? I've got a friend who is leaving the NC coast and moving close to a national forest because the ocean's been acting so weird the past few years. He says you can hardly dive anymore with all the wind and wave action. The VA Gold project can't move forward for the same reason - not two days in a row with less than 3 foot waves. I've heard it's getting harder to find a calm day on the treasure coast, too.

So old timers - has it always been this way over the years? Is it normal to have a few years of constant high wave action - does it come and go? Or is this unusual and seemingly getting worse?

Best,
Darren

MMAG

Greenie
Apr 9, 2006
Just wait
We found the best time up there is from the end of Sept. to the begining of Dec.
Seems the end of Hurricane season and before the Noreasters kick up has been our best time. It just depends on where your working. We need 1-2 to work and no swells. Any way good luck.
Mike

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I know Darren and I have discussed this several times, but it has been like this for the last 2 years. The wave and wind action has been very constant here. I have had very few days offshore where the swells were less than 2 feet and seems like never more than 1 or 2 days in a row. This time of year we typically have very light South-south-west winds. That hasn't been the case.

It has definitely put things on hold for the Virginia Gold Project and even some my projects here. I just got back from the Treasure Coast and the vis there has been terrible as well.

Go figure! Has our weather pattern changed?

Robert in SC

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not 100% sure of the relevance of the El-Nino/Nina effect on US north coasts, however in Australia it affects our ocean currents & weather conditions; El-Nino/Nina lasts for years too.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
You AIN'T seen nothing yet.
When China completes the Three Gorge Dam Engineers say the weight of the water will be enough to have an effect on the rotation of the Earth itself. Hard to believe I know but never the less may be a fact. It is also being said that the Dam will NOT hold very long and when it breaks millions of lives will be lost.
Only time will tell.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread