Waverly Hills

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ghosthunters were there on 10/31 -- its said to be major league haunted --with 63,000 dead (they died at a rate of 60 a day--before it was turned into a old folks home later on) there there must be bones everywhere although it said most were creamated --the ash's had to be dumped somewhere and not everything burns ( thus leaving bone chips and stuff) --plus the folks there were most likely broke and the workers hard up to be working at such a depressing place -- I don't think the TB folks got outside on the surrounding grounds that much to be honest --- (what jewelry and stuff they had the folks working the "stoves" most likely "took" as well as fillings)--- its kinda goulish to think of what may have went on really--- Ivan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owners of Waverly have said absolutely "NO DETECTING" there. If you try to sneak in, the police will be called on you. Thus, the property lies dormant.

-Buckleboy

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
No detecting.

Because it's become a ghost groupies hot spot they are even more vigilant about trespassers.

And because it's become a ghosthunting favorite they want to make money from dark tourism. They do not want to shut down because of some lawsuit brought about by a tresspasser who fell through the rotten floorboards and who never signed the waiver.

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
LOL buckleboy...that makes me laugh that you added in IF YOU TRY TO SNEAK IN...wasn't planning on it buddy!! Anyway, I've been up there on a tour and one of the owners said I COULD come up with permission. This was last year during October. I'm going to try and get a hold of them and do the surrounding woods. My great-grandmother actually died in that place during the 70's when it was re-opened and called WOODHAVEN. They mis-treated her as well as several other patients, and thats why they shut the place down once and for all.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't making reference to you specifically with my comment--I just wanted to put it out there--that they watch that property like hawks. There are many members on here from Louisville, and many more who are guests who might see the thread. Just wanted everyone to know. Sounds cool...If you get permission to hunt there, I am VERY jealous :)

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I'll have to get back in contact with them. It was abandoned for almost 30 years and people used to sneak in there all the time (myself not included :) so I'm thinking the place is hunted out completely. What do you think?

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
http://www.whshistory.com/id43.html

If you take a wander thru this you'll see at the very end they have a gift shop.

Any place with a gift shop is milking tourists. Whether for dark tourism or regular tourism.

On an episode of "GhostHunters" I think it was Steve who said something like...'if it has a gift shop, it's probably not haunted'. He was refering to the Lizzie Borden house where TAPS/Ghosthunters did an investigation.

Waverly is cashing in on both kinds of tourism. They aren't going to allow anything that might jeopardize that.

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Yes there was a young man killed there while on a ATV. There was a high tension wire down and when they hit it well you can figure that out. He hung out with my two boys and had been at my house off and on for years. The other boy on the back had severe burns but recovered OK. It was a very sad day.

My boys told me that they had played up there for years and have been through every bit of that place including the tunnel with nothing happing but just good fun.

Jim

izzitcat

May 13, 2008
Louisville,Ky.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger/White's Classic5ID
Been by the place many times never thought of th'n. In the old days they used to call all the coughing the patients did The Waverly Hill Yodel.My daughter's been there a few times at halloween. Got the snot scared out of her. I live in Louisville myself. Might try to get permission and give it a try. Good luck if you go!

Root Hawg

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
i had a family member that had treatment done at waverly back in the 1940's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread