We all know and are familiar with those "Annoying digs!" but theres some other ...

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all know and are familiar with those "Annoying digs!" but theres some other ...

Yeah yeah we all know about those common annoying aluminum digs, anyone who has ever detected in newer modern parks knows all about those! My idea is to talk about some other unusual annoying digs that occur less frequently that maybe even evoke some sense of humor or pranks involved, I am sure you all have had something like that occur so feel free to chime in ! With some of your more memorable type of "Annoying!" digs here :

Ok I will start out with mine that occurred yesterday. I had this signal just above nickel, it didn't seem like it would be too deep . But have to keep digging down deep to get the pin-pointer to respond :BangHead:

Finally at around 7 inches down my pin-pointer starts sounding off then I am hitting something with the Lesche hand digger, so then I have to dig around it a bit, and finally manage to pry whatever it is out of the hole....

What the heck ??!!?? :tchest: NOT !!!! :censored: Its a freaking baseball sized rock wrapped in about two layers of aluminum foil !! Oh well it proves the new coil is working good at least !! Well in retrospect I can laugh a little bit now.. maybe . Common Guys and Gals post em up :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure it wasn't just a petrified baked potato?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was searching a yard along side a very old shack someone had built years before. No 2x4's, the walls were 1x12's standing upright, and that was what was holding the roof up. Anyhow I was swinging next to the wall, and the machine went off. I dug down and there was a small metal, enameled wash basin down about 6 or 8 inches. Pulled it out of the hole knowing for sure someone had buried something they wanted to find again. Put the detector over the hole, and it really fired the second time. Dirt flew, I knew it had to be something really good. Dug up an old hand cranked egg beater, and that's all that was in the hole. How that got down there that deep without someone burying it on purpose is anyone's guess.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting an old home site in town. The house was demolished a few years back after a fire. The first day I hit the site I pulled a silver rosie, my 1st silver quarter, as well as a 26 shell token cache. I went back to the site the next day. I was continuing the grid search. Little did I know but the neighbor had taken his penny jar and threw over 500 pennies throughout 1/3 of the property. That was very annoying. :censored:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Some years ago, I was hunting an old homestead. I'd found some nice relics and a shell midden or two, but my attention was drawn to a rather large and old tree that was ten or so paces from where the house used to be. Remembering the advice that I'd received here, I began hunting around it. After a few more relics, I got a response that nearly blew the headphones off my ears, so I started digging...and digging...and digging...

...and a foot or so down, I recovered the door from a wood stove. Aside from a lot of rocks, I found nothing else under it with my uMax Silver. I may go back again one day with another machine, but I don't think that anything is down there. I don't know how it got down there, but I found the hood from a pickup truck at another location. Swing the coil enough and weird things will turn up.

Another time, I eyeballed a clip with five .30-'06 casings in it from WWII. This happened at a range that I was stationed at a decade or so ago, but it was not in an area where shooting took place; not only that, but the weathering on the clip and the brass suggested that it had been there for a long time. Someone, sometime, had gone ahead and loaded five empties onto a clip and then had lost it in the woods, and it was still laying there decades later for me to find. I'd love to know the story behind that.

We have a school field here that had once hosted an actual school; in the fifties, they'd torn down the original school and built the new one downhill from the original field. One corner is absolutely lousy with old (~1950) car parts. It's on the grade and doesn't appear to be fill. How did all of that get there? Another story that I'd like to hear. (I once picked a sizing ring out of there, one of those brass suckers that the jewelers have; I identified it by the size number on it. And what was that doing there? Another story that I won't ever hear.)

Last year, I hit a buddy's house from the thirties. I'd swear that there are more nails on his lawn than there are in his house, and it's not just one patch of the yard either. These are modern nails, mind you. Did someone at some time run around the house throwing handfuls of nails around? I can't think of any other reason for this. It's literally a carpet of modern nails over the entire lawn. They were good and rusty, and some were a bit deep, so they'd probably been there for a while. What the hell happened?

I think that my favorite part of metal detecting is not the finds, but the questions behind the finds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of these occurred at a public beach.
Usually signals are few and far between (unless you hit pull tab party ground). The tide was low and starting to come back in. Walking along I was startled when my detector sounded off and kept at it over a 2X3 foot area, of course I'm thinking "pirate treasure chest" :treasurechest: :skullflag: This is a beach and that's where pirates bury chests full of gold & silver! :tongue3:
I dug down about a foot at the edge, enough to get my hand down there and feel around, after all you don't want to haul a treasure chest out of the sand in public. The tide is getting closer as I wrap my fingers over the thin edge of a large piece of sheet metal a foot down in the sand! :icon_scratch: I have just enough time to kick the sand back in the hole, scoop up my detector and get out of the way of the incoming tide.

The second "Don't you just hate when that happens" detecting adventure. :tongue3:
I was up by the sea wall stairs and got a strong "coin" reading, larger than a soda can. Digging and probing finally the pin pointer sounded off. A little more scooping and a large gold jar lid appears! :hello2: I tried pulling it up, nope! It's attached to something. :icon_scratch: More digging and a large round plastic jar 12" high and 8" across comes out of the hole.
Inside are a bunch of multi colored bows and little folded stars, a white wrapped something...and a picture, of a brown & white hamster!!! :dontknow:
OMG! I put that back and reburied it in record speed, said "I'm sorry", an quickly walked away.
Not exactly the best place to bury a deceased pet, probably the first and last time the poor thing has ever been to the beach!

So that's a "how did that get there?" :icon_scratch:, and a "why did they put that there!!??" :dontknow:

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year I hit a buddy's house from the thirties. I'd swear that there are more nails on his lawn than there are in his house, and it's not just one patch of the yard either. These are modern nails, mind you. Did someone at some time run around the house throwing handfuls of nails around? I can't think of any other reason for this. It's literally a carpet of modern nails over the entire lawn. They were good and rusty, and some were a bit deep, so they'd probably been there for a while. What the hell happened?

I think that my favorite part of metal detecting is not the finds, but the questions behind the finds.

Hi Dave thanks for the reply! Yeah I have some idea on those nails. Bad workers that don't care, drop lots of nails and don't pick them up. Must have cleaned up several bucket fulls of nails after they repaired our house out here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions