Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We Had Permission and Then We Didn't

I went up to Putnam County on Wednesday to visit my sister and her family for the Christmas Holiday weekend. Of course I was sure to bring my
E-Trac with me. On Thursday my sister dropped me off at a local park for about a 4 hour hunt. Around 4 P.M.,, my nephew picks me up. The conversation during the ride home was about how I sure wished I could get access to The Old Girl Scout Camp across the lake.

It turns out that my nephew did some part time work for the Town Parks Director at the Girl Scout Camp a few summers ago. We zipped right over to the camp and my nephew gives me a short I/2 tour. I say short because it would be dark within a half hour and this place covers close to 200 acres. The Camp has changed hands numerous time since it opened in the forties. Today it is run by The Girl Scouts. I have permission to hunt in the County Parks. That was secured last year. This year I met the Town Recreational Director. He was really okay with metal detecting as long as it didn't take place during Summer Camp. That permission applies to all Town Parks and there are six of them.
That night I called Diggin Dude and extended an invitation to him.
Although Andrew had to be home with his little girl on Christmas, I was able to swing the coil for 5 hours. The Campground is divided into separate campsites. Each campsite has a cabin, 6 to 8 wooden tent platforms, a few latrines, and a few open pavilions for arts and crafts as well as other activities. I hit a few areas until I finally started to get a few wheat pennies. Aside from 9 wheat pennies, I recovered my first Swedish Coin. A 1953 5 ORE.

Today, I met Diggin Dude around 10 A.M. and we walked in ready to bring out some serious old time silver. We wandered around to a few campsites but clad was the only thing we were getting. Eventually we found ourselves pretty deep into the camp near the site where I found the Wheat Pennies yesterday. We settled in and started getting a few interesting targets as well as more Wheat Pennies. Andrew drew first blood. His Deus exposed a silver Washington, but I'll let him tell you about it. We more or less agreed to spend the rest of the day at this site. Right around 2 P.M.,, just as I was digging a target, I heard Dude say, "We got company."
I knew it was someone with authority because he was driving and nobody is allowed to drive their vehicle into the camp at this time of the year. It was the Resident Grounds Keeper. He was polite but let us know that we were on private property. I threw a few names at him and explained that I was under the impression that it was okay to detect while the camping season was closed. I had nothing in writing with me but that was okay. He knew who I was talking about but explained that the Town Recreation Director and The County Recreation Commissioner didn't make policy for the Campground. As we packed it up, I asked if he could give me a name and number that I could contact to maybe get permission. He was very cooperative and gave me the information I requested and wished us Merry Christmas. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Hey, everyone has a job to do. We weren't finished yet. We took a spin over to the local park that I hunted on Thursday and put in another hour.
All in all I had a nice Holiday Weekend and it was good to get together with another TNet Member and do what we really like to do.
Here are a few pictures of the last 3 days of hunting.
IMG_2644.JPG IMG_2668.JPG IMG_2665.JPG IMG_2664.JPG IMG_2666.JPG IMG_2648.JPG IMG_2646.JPG IMG_2645.JPG IMG_2643.JPG IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2669.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 9

jimzilla

May 6, 2012
That really sucks. I met you in Brooklyn a few weeks ago. You were up my way as I live in Dutchess

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks jimzilla,, all is not lost. I know a few people up in Putnam County that may help me persuade the lady.
I am also a member of The lost My Stuff Group. I have a few documented recoveries and returns of Gold
Wedding Bands. They have a beach at this Campground and you never know when they might need assistance.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope it works out eventually...at least the limit setting was cordial. And I like those finds, the pocket knife and swedish coin. Is that large ring gold?

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it works out eventually...at least the limit setting was cordial. And I like those finds, the pocket knife and swedish coin. Is that large ring gold?
The "Big gold ring" is actually a bracelet. It came out of the hole looking like gold but it isn't. Almost gave me a heart attack,, lol

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ask him how much he's found in the park so far?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread