We have been asked to help find ring????

Retired2

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2008
My wife and I were approached by a young man last year while metal detecting a Lake Michigan beach. He asked if we would be willing to help look for his fathers wedding band. His father is gone now and his mother thinks she know where it is in the yard. I want to be able to find this ring real bad!!. If you have any pointers on how to attack this please let me know. I am going to call the young man this month and tell him we will be over as soon as I am in the area again. I have thought of taking string and stakes to grid the area off????

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
It would be so very cool if you could help them find it! There was a lady lost a ring the other day and posted on craigslist for help finding it. I sent her a message but by the time she got to the message she had found it in the yard herself. I am not sure what would be the best way to search the area but I would think the grid idea would be a good idea if it is a large area you are searching. Best of luck to you and be sure to update us if you do go look and post a pic if you find it!!

G

gamiller

Retired2 said:
My wife and I were approached by a young man last year while metal detecting a Lake Michigan beach. He asked if we would be willing to help look for his fathers wedding band. His father is gone now and his mother thinks she know where it is in the yard. I want to be able to find this ring real bad!!. If you have any pointers on how to attack this please let me know. I am going to call the young man this month and tell him we will be over as soon as I am in the area again. I have thought of taking string and stakes to grid the area off????

Thanks ahead of time!!!
Gridding is a good start , go slow,search north and south , also search east and west.
Remember that most metal detectors search pattern is like an ice cream cone shape .
Depending on the depth of the ring this may come into play.
I hope this makes sense and good luck

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if your lake beaches are the same as ours back in Florida... but I tried looking for a man's ring that asked for help here on T-Net while I was home over Spring Break, and I ended up finding over two 12 packs worth of beer cans!! I tried a few times, but never could find the ring. But I made sure to grid the beach from the sand dunes to the tide by dragging my bare feet through the sand as I detected. This left grid patterns along the beach where I searched. Guess that's the only advice I can give you...

Bran <><

OP
OP
R

Retired2

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2008
OK...The ring is not on the beach..it is in the womens back yard...somewhere between the back door and the shed... Thats all I know for now..Keep ya posted.

Hugh

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't say what kind of detector you have. A large DD coil would help a lot covering the area. My Sovereign GT has a WOT and it is a hot coil and will sound off if target is just outside the coil edge.

If she thinks it was lost on the path to the shed tr that first, searching several feet either side of pathway.

If that doesn't work, then try the pattern search. If it was me I wouldn't use strings I might mark it with flags on each end and move them as I reach the edge to my next location.

When I search the beach I pattern search, moving over about 4 feet at end of my pass to start the next pass, right there is where you can set your flag if you want to mark your search.

Make sure your sweeps over lap 50% if your not using a DD coil and be sure your passes overlap when you start your next pass.

Good luck...........

OP
OP
R

Retired2

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2008
I will be using my Garret 1500 with a large coil. My wife has a Garret 250 which gets down and picks out small targets in trashy spots better than my 1500. :D

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Also, how long was it missing?
Typically they dont sink, they get covered with grass and mulch and get buried that way. If he caught his grass, it generally won't be that deep. If it's in a garden, he may have plowed it deeper. A mans ring, should sound pretty good when you go over it, even at three or four inches. It it's laying flat, it may give a double beep as your coil crosses over each edge of the ring.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having recovered many rings for people in the past I have a few tips.

Even when you look over the yard, all is not as it seems. I have had people think it was in one place when in fact they took it off earlier that day or lost it somewhere else entirely. Question them more on the subject, what was he doing when he noticed he was missing the ring? It might be in the shed or near the road when he took out the trash, etc.

The use of a large coil seems like the way to go to cover area faster, but the small coil is the ticket to get close to sidewalks with rebars and fences. There is always more trash to get under a large coil and slow things down. Since it is a man's ring, find approximate size to see where it might show up on the GTI 1500 meter. It could be near pull tab or higher. Check Image Size of each target and note, the ring could even be very near another target. Did he wear gloves? I've found rings in ski gloves, working gloves, etc.

I hate to even mention this, but if there are geese in the area, they've been known to swallow shinny things. I've found two rings in goose poop at grassy parks. Grid off the area as best ya can and good luck.

Sandman

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
First, I wouldn't bother with stakes and string. Use yard flags like the lawn companys have. Less time gridding and more time hunting. You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot and they are only about $3 for a dozen. The yard may or may not be trashy.If not then swing the big coil. If it is trashy then use the ace, and be prepared to do allot of digging. Knee pads etc. Maybe you have a ring, same size, karat and such to take a reading on it, you may be able to skip some of the trash.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
thers also the chance if its been lost for a long time, that someone mowed over it an it could be anywhere now, even a grass chacher if they use one.AS long as the ring is not bbroken it will make a good signal, if it has been damage an has a split, it will have a trashsy broken signal to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread