We Scored Our First Silver Today!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The weather was pretty nice today so my son and I decided to go down and try out one of the local parks. We went to one side and it was so windy it was tough to hold my hat on. We decide to try the other side and had a ton of fun digging up stuff.

Our first target was a penny and then about 10" away we got another good signal and it turned out to be our first Silver score! A 1953 Quarter. My son flipped the plug, went in looking with the pin pointer and flipped out a shiny quarter. He thought it was new because it looked so good.. a bit shiny. I gave it a wipe and saw the 53 and told him that was a Silver Quarter. He kept looking at it and had a huge smile on his face! That's our first Silver! he said and it was a great moment.

1953 QT.jpg

We continued to dig a ton of targets. We traded off digging and swinging as it mixed it up pretty good and we both had more fun that way.
We found a cool rock, our first cut nail, some more bullets, a zipper, an old suspender clasp with a lot of moving parts, a heart shaped bracket and a bunch of clad. 2 nickels, 5 dimes, 19 pennies and 5 quarters. The 1953 and a 1967 were two of those. :icon_thumright:

04-08.jpg

A great day out with my son having fun.... that's what it is all about!!
Thanks for looking. GL & HH! :occasion14:

Upvote 18

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14:Congrats on your First!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you and your son are really getting to enjoy a truly bonding hobby. Congrats on your first silver.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds! Nothing like hunting with your son- I've been lucky enough to hunt with my son and grandson. I see your from Mass- what a great state to hunt! I'm from the Cape- you near this corner of the state?

-- Jeff --

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on sharing that special moment with your son, and on your first silver.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job on your 1st silver but holy moly what about the civil war era heel plate in the bottom right of your pic! Great find right there!

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for looking everyone and the kind words. We are having so much fun together with this addictive hobby. Nothing better than going out and getting some fresh air, a bit of exercise, hanging out together and trying to find goodies. Doing research on where to go is also fun. Learning what was here in the old days, what has changed over the years and then finding stuff there is a blast!

Congrats on the great finds! Nothing like hunting with your son- I've been lucky enough to hunt with my son and grandson. I see your from Mass- what a great state to hunt! I'm from the Cape- you near this corner of the state?
-- Jeff --

Hunting with loved ones is so much fun. Glad you get to do it too. I am near Worcester but do plan on trying the Cape this year. Maybe we can get together and hit the beach?

Awesome job on your 1st silver but holy moly what about the civil war era heel plate in the bottom right of your pic! Great find right there!

You think this is an old heel plate? I thought it was a bracket from a chest or something because of the heart. I will clean it up some more to see if I can see anything on it.
HeelPlate.jpg

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is so cool. Thank you for the link.
You should have seen my son when he came over and saw the link!
Big eyes with mouth open from a WOW!!!!
So we got our first Silver and a Civil War era Boot Heel Plate from our first visit to the park. We didn't even put a dent in the place when we were there. Going to have to keep going back there and see what else we can find.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool. Thank you for the link.
You should have seen my son when he came over and saw the link!
Big eyes with mouth open from a WOW!!!!
So we got our first Silver and a Civil War era Boot Heel Plate from our first visit to the park. We didn't even put a dent in the place when we were there. Going to have to keep going back there and see what else we can find.

No problem!, I'm no pro but I know I've seen those before. Now get back to that park and dig every signal you can!

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem!, I'm no pro but I know I've seen those before. Now get back to that park and dig every signal you can!

I did some looking and you were correct on the heel plate! So cool to find one. Some good reading on the subject. We will be hitting that park as much as we can and see what else it has for us.

Nice first! Just found my first silver quarter, yours is a beaut

Thanks and Congrats to you too! :occasion14:
You have a nice 39 there! So great to find the first silver. I did it with my son and you did it with your father. Gotta love metal detecting... with friends, family or just swinging alone!!!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to both of you on your first silver and heel plate!!

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE. Great hunt. I wish Many more for you.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome first find. Congrats to you and your son. Them silver quarters sure are hard to find--I've only found 4 in three years despite diligent searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions