Wedding band returned to owner

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Monday afternoon, I arrived back at work to find a note on my desk. The note just said "Tom, call Scott", and there was phone number listed below. I asked the ladies in the front office, what this note pertained too, and they said it had something to do with metal detecting. I called the number and no one answered. I put the note back on my desk, and intended to call again later.

Getting old has it's disadvantages....as usuall, I forgot to call. The next day an elderly gentleman finds his way into my office. He was the fellow that had called the day before. I asked him how I could help him and he began to tell me his story.

He had just put in a new flower garden for his wife, when he realized that his wedding band was missing. He explained that this was the second one that he had lost, and he was hoping I could help him find it. I told him that I could, but it would probably be Friday or Saturday before I would have a chance. He said that would be fine, and he thanked me and left.

Today as it it turns out, I had a free evening. So when I got home from work, I gave Scott a call and setup a time to meet. MrsTimberwolf and I arrived at his house about 6 P.M. He said that he had bought a new metal detector, but he didn't know how to use it. I asked him to get it and I would try finding his ring with it.

His detector was a White's Prizm II. I had never used one before, but I turned it on and gave it a try. Scott showed me the flower garden which was right up next to the front of his house. It was only about 2' wide and 9' long.

The first target I found, I did not dig. I then went over the whole garden. There were a few beeps, but not many. It really was a small area :) I got a pretty good hit next to one of the freshly planted shrubs and decided to dig there. I didn't locate that target, so I moved on. The next target I.D.'d in the pulltab range, so I stopped and dug down about 6" and hit a brick. I ran the coil back over the hole and I was still getting a good reading. I pulled some more dirt out of the hole, next to the brick....and there it was :thumbsup:

After giving Scott his ring, I took a few minuets to show him how to use his detector. After we were done, he offered to pay me, but I declined. I asked him if I could post his pic here on TNet and use his first name, and he agreed to that ;D

The closeups pics of the ring did not turn out, but here is a pic of me finding the ring, and Scott holding it.

new pics 060a.jpg

new pics 061a.jpg

All in all, it turned out to be a great day :)

Timberwolf

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
That is awesome!! What a guy you are!! Thanks for giving the sport a good name and for making that gentleman's day! :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! You da Man. :thumbsup: Congrats on doing a super nice thing.
-MM-

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
People in general tend to make fun of us guys wearing those large headphones.
But, let them lose something and presto, they know who to call! :)
Great story! Great deed!

GRB

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Tom!!! :wink:

Bran <><

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Cynangyl said:
That is awesome!! What a guy you are!! Thanks for giving the sport a good name and for making that gentleman's day! :thumbsup:

Cyn,

I'm nobody special, but thanks for the kind words :)
It just gives me the warm fuzzies, to help someone find something that they have lost.

TW

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing the work of christ with a metal detector! God BLess you ! I will pray for a really nice cross out of the ground 4 u this summer!!

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a wonderful story, it will come back to you in great finds I am sure...

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Very Cool story.
No better feeling than helping folks,well digging a great coin would be close, very close, but just not quite as good. Way to grow TW

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Tom, that warm fuzzy feeling that you get from doing a good deed makes it all worth it. A couple of months ago, I found a man's gold and diamond ring, I didn't even use my detector, I found it out in the carpark at the gym. I turned it in and never even got a thank you, but that doesn't matter, what matters is doing the right thing and one thing I really like about the T-Net site is reading posts from so many members who go to great lengths to try to return lost items that have sentimental value to the owners. That speaks well for our members and for detectorists. Well done, and may the detecting gods smile down upon you!

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
DetectoDude said:
Wonderful thing to do, I wish more people would let us detectorists know when they loose something.. WTG!

DetectorDude,

Thank you. Our local dealer that sold him the detector, sent him my way :)

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
ModernMiner said:
Great story! You da Man. :thumbsup: Congrats on doing a super nice thing.
-MM-

Thank you MM ;D

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
GoldenRoyBoy said:
People in general tend to make fun of us guys wearing those large headphones.
But, let them lose something and presto, they know who to call! :)
Great story! Great deed!

GRB

Thanks GRB :)

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
MaineRelic said:
Doing the work of christ with a metal detector! God BLess you ! I will pray for a really nice cross out of the ground 4 u this summer!!

MaineRelic,

Thanks for the prayers. You can never have too many of those, and a nice cross would really be cool ;D
Thanks again brother,

Tom

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
cavers5 said:
Thanks for sharing, TW.
Wonderful post!

Cavers5

Thanks Cavers5 :)
I will be praying for you, that your good health be restored. Hang in there young lady, you have many more treasures to find!

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
FloridaBill said:
That was a wonderful story, it will come back to you in great finds I am sure...

Thanks FloridaBill :)

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
TEXAN Connection said:
Very Cool story.
No better feeling than helping folks,well digging a great coin would be close, very close, but just not quite as good. Way to grow TW

Thanks TC ;D

I hope to see you at CTH2! I want to see you dig up another Morgan silver dollar :thumbsup:

TW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions