Weekend Finds For 3/29-30 & 4/5-6

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Here follows some of the more interesting finds from the last two weekends. My best find was the 1892 Indian Head cent, found on 4/6. I did a little research on a place I had already been to many times using old postcards. I traced the key features directly from my computer screen of the postcards(from the net) on to Dura Lar acetate sheets using a sharpie...in hopes that I could wander the area and match up the key features. I didn't get to spend a lot of time doing that, because I started late in the day and my partner gets antsy when he doesn't find anything...he was driving too lol. Anyway, I tried locating an old band stand on top of a hill from a 1910 postcard. I am pretty sure I know where it used to be, but only a few tell tale features remain which are scant at best. Nonetheless, that effort paid off a little bit because it was on that hill leading up to the band stand that I found the Indian Head...among trees and junk people throw down from the pavilion(most likely where the band stand was). The picture I used from 1910 showed a lot of people just lounging all over that hill...darn right I'm gonna go see who dropped something lol. But the terrain is a little rough, really soft ground with trees, stumps, vines, burrs, prickly this and that. It was worth it.

The 1952D and 1910 cents were found in the same location, just away from that hill. All in all, I had a great time being outside after such a brutal winter. Now I must brutally make up for all that lost time! Thank you all for looking and GL& HH.

Attachments

• IMG_3275.JPG
    IMG_3275.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3277.JPG
    IMG_3277.JPG
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG
    740.6 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 3

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
AT Pro-Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice assortment. Love the Indian Head, but all the finds are cool. Good job.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds! Nice!
Sounds like you've got a great place to hunt with good potential for silver!
Next time your partner gets antsy plant a little clad here and there when he's not look'n!
I like the ornate metal piece!
Is the metal tag a vin plate from a car?

Your sure making up for list time!

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Msbeepbeep...yeah, I have pulled a few Mercs and Roosies from this place, not same area but same general location. I'm just trying to zero in a little better using more detailed research. The metal tag is from an old power tool or machine, I don't know which yet...gonna look that up shortly. The ornate pieces, no idea what they're off of...the brass floral item, maybe that's from some sort of dispenser or something...it's pretty thin material. Found those with my AT pro...and the 1946 cent.

Thanks diggerbutt...I love the Indian Head too hehe. It wasn't really that deep either, maybe 5-6 inches in really loamy soil. The signal was just below what a zinc penny might show on my Minelab, but it was consistent so I dug it.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: I figured out what the Sears & Roebuck plate was for...a Craftsman Rotary Power Mower. I can't find an exact picture of it, but there are a few mowers online with model numbers slightly above my plate's numbers...so, maybe it doesn't look too far off from one of those. Always nice to solve a mystery. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread