Weekend Hunt with Iron Patch (Small Silver!)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the trip to meet up with Iron Patch to try our luck at some new sites. We found some new sites (and a couple hunted sites) but the finds were't what we were hoping for. It certainly wasn't a bad weekend, good to see IP again and I'm already looking forward to the fall.

My find of the weekend was a solid silver button with a "D" monogram on the back. Luckily "D" is the first letter of my surname so this button was very cool to find. Also found a silver gilted button with plenty of gilt left and looks much better in hand. 11 coins were mostly crusty coppers but I did get a 1772 Geo. III and a decent provincial token which is being cleaned. I'll post some more pics after cleaning.

Attachments

• 09-11April2010.jpg
    09-11April2010.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 864
  • 09 - 11 April 2010 006.jpg
    09 - 11 April 2010 006.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 858
  • 09 - 11 April 2010 021.jpg
    09 - 11 April 2010 021.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 852
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
romeo-1 said:
4-H said:
I'd say that's above average for most folks.
Congrats

One great find is all it takes to make an average hunt a great hunt. We certainly had a chance...the targets were old...just a matter of getting the coil over the target.

The silver button was a real surprise. When I dug it I thought it was a tombac and didn't realize it was siver until we were checking out out finds. The "D" just made it that much better.

Anyone know the typical age of this type of button? I'm thinking early 1800s.

more likely one of those cufflink pieces - late 1700s-early 1800s

Do you see them with a button type shank? I have seen several similar single marked ones, but never attached as a cufflink. It makes sense, I just haven't come across any.
I see ones of a similar size to the squared off shank cufflinks with a similar design & normal button shanks (but yet to see them whole). So no firm evidence (as none of my reference's feature silver buttons like this, only cufflinks), but it just makes sense to me. It could of course be a silver cuff button, but equally where are the reference to them?

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Really nice finds Romeo.

That button is a real keeper. You guys got some nice sites once again. Where are you located at. Are you guys all hunting in canada. I may have asked this before.

Take care

Jer

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JerV3 said:
Really nice finds Romeo.

That button is a real keeper. You guys got some nice sites once again. Where are you located at. Are you guys all hunting in canada. I may have asked this before.

Take care

Jer

East coast and not too far from New England. :wink: :thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Ok,

Thanks IP. If I lived in a area as old as yours I would be in heaven. Those are great finds from the states. It's old were I am at but not as old as you guys.

You guys hunting farm fields or foundation sites. I'm in the city pittsburgh. It's old here but built over alot now. But out of the city you can make early finds. Great job guys on saving the colonial history.

HH Jer

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JerV3 said:
Ok,

Thanks IP. If I lived in a area as old as yours I would be in heaven. Those are great finds from the states. It's old were I am at but not as old as you guys.

You guys hunting farm fields or foundation sites. I'm in the city pittsburgh. It's old here but built over alot now. But out of the city you can make early finds. Great job guys on saving the colonial history.

HH Jer

We hunt fields, and we do have many 1800s era sites, but 1700s and earlier take some work to find. The posts are just the final result of what can be hours of research in combination with lots of driving and walking fields. A large copper or flat button is pretty easy here, but cobs, Rev war buttons and the real good stuff is definitely not going to appear under your coil by just grabbing a detector and going anywhere. My first two years of detecting only gave me one old silver coin.... an 1816 George III six pence and it was off a salt water shore and not too pretty. All that said, I do feel lucky that we can find some old stuff here but it's probably not quite as easy as it might seem. Romeo and I were getting pretty frustrated on day 2 when things were not at all coming together.

PS.... The above post was finds from more fields than I can even remember at the moment. Probably at least a dozen. Most people just assume it was one spot, but that has never been the case for Romeo and my hunts.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A silver cufflink sounds better than a silver button...unless it's an officer's silver button! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
A silver cufflink sounds better than a silver button...unless it's an officer's silver button! :thumbsup:

No, because if it's a button you have it all! So I'd push for button! :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wondered if Dirtysville , & Romeotopia was East and close to NE ..impressive details and amazing finds !! Keep tearin up those fields ..nice :headbang:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a match - 18th C silver cufflink :)

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
:notworthy: very nice,me thinks the 'ol pirate is holding out on me :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread