Weekend Hunts, 3 Permissions Yields 2 Silver #25 & #25

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out yesterday to see if I could put more time in the big yellow house. No one home, :BangHead: so I hunted part of the easement 30' x 8' section. Nothing old, only 90 cents in clad.
Got back in the van, to check on another house. It's on the 1874 map and was right across the side street from one of the two original 1 room school houses "back-in-the-day". I pulled up, noticed their car trunk was open. This gave me a good reason to knock. :thumbsup: They were aware of the trunk and gave me permission to detect anyways. This site must have been hit decades ago. :BangHead: No silver, and the oldest coin was a 1946 wheat. I did find 3 aluminum shell oil company tokens, 2 tootsie toys, and $3.28 total. I only got in 4 hours and can go back anytime.

3 Wheats & 3 Tokens
20150718_160932.jpg

All the items pulled (less the trash)

20150718_180928.jpg

Left that permission to scout around, 2 blocks away I saw people at a house that they own. (I have been wanting to get permission at this site for a while now). They actually live 50 miles away in Cleveland. I struck up a conversation and after about 5 minutes I popped the question. :dontknow: He him-hawed around, stated that he detected the property about 20 years ago and did not find any coins. He did however find a 1890 something nickle when he was building the garage. He finally agreed to allow me to hunt, but if I find 2 old coins from the 1800's he would like the lesser valuable of the two and that we split all the clad. I gave him all the clad and all the trash. I got to keep 2 rosies (47 & 51-D) and 5 wheats (1 date unknown, 1944, 1946 x 2, & 1947). I found a few relics I wanted, they are in the pick. I particularly like the helmeted head.

The owners share (clad and trash)
20150719_142901.jpg

The 5 coins I was allowed to keep.
20150719_151655.jpg

The relics I kept
20150719_152610.jpg

As always thanks for reading and hope ya'll got out and swung the coil today.

Last edited:
Upvote 22

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers and wheats! The helmet head is neat! Great finds congrats!

Better than I did, after an hour and half, the heat and humidity won.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunts. Way to be persistent and get that silver.:thumbsup: Ive been curious to see how u did this weekend.
I need to work on getting/asking for permissions.
I have been taking the easy road and hunting city, state, and county properties, but seems like those lands have been hit hard by others who beat me to it.
Not sure why I don't want to ask strangers for perms, the worst thing that can happen is a no.
Ive found a few of those shell tokens before, sure looks like a silver for a sec when digging.
That relic with a double loop looks familiar too. I saw something on here recently that looks similar. They said it came off an old septic tank sys.
GJ, GL & HH

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Looks like a lot of work for ya, but worth it!!!! It sure makes our day to at least pull one silver out of the ground!!! :icon_thumleft:

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Your persistence paid off. Great job finding the silver, and awesome helmet head!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Loco, like to see you in the relic business, maybe I'll get in the coin game. You also seem to be the tootsie King. Looks like a great weekend. Only 5 more days and we can hit it again. RN

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a lot of digging, glad you scored a couple of silvers. A lady I asked over the weekend owned two older properties side by side, late 1800's. I asked if I could detect the one she was living in and she said I would rather you not. Told her I would split the finds with her. Didn't work. Then I asked about the other house that was unlivable, and she said it was about to fall in. I said I'll be hunting the yard not inside lol. No dice,

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Loco. Looks like you had a good day. I like the helmet thing to. Wonder what it's off of?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on securing the permissions. Some days I can't buy one, others just fall into my lap. All part of the hobby. Have to take the good with the bad. What is that helmeted relic ya think?

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. Which one is #25 and which is #25? :laughing7:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOCO THE HELMET LOOKS FAMILIAR . NOW FOR THE REST , WHAT YA DO , NOCK OFF SOME BUBBLE GUM MACHINES WHILE YOU WERE AT IT TOO . NICE BUNCH OF CLAD .

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Msbeepbeep Thanks, MsBB sorry about the heat, maybe tomorrow?

bonepicker Thanks BP, I began the hobby last spring, I hit pert near every public property in a 40 mile radius of the house and other sites further while traveling or visiting family. I think most start this way. I think you will evolve to doing more permissions, and hitting public lands as a filler. You have better odds of finding older coins at permissions. Your total clad intake will more then likely decrease if you do mainly permissions though. I still find it hard to cold knock, rather catch them in the yard or on the porch, strike up a conversation and then ask. These last 3 shell tokens put's me at 30 in 14 months and yes they get the heart racing...

basque-man Thanks BM, it does make our day, they made mine. It was a cheap hunt, only cost me 69 cents and I can come back anytime to finish the other 60% of the property.

Nepa-Will Thanks,

relic nut I think you'd make an expert coin shooter. I keep the oddities I dig and the occasional relic. The Tootsies look nice in my display. Looking forward to next weekend.

RJ55 Thanks RJ, sorry about those two Nos, You win some, you lose some.

wv hilljack Thanks wvhj and yes it was a good day, I have no idea as to where the helmeted head was used. Maybe an ornate lamp?

Old Dude Thanks OD I think it may be part of an old ornate lamp? Was Bronze color once.

TooManyHobbies Thanks TMH, sorry, was hoping no one would see that.

sutphin Thanks Sutphin, no bubble gum machines man, just the luck of the hunt on permissions.

Trezurehunter Thanks TH, wish they were turn of the century coins, but I'll take the Rosies.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good hunt and working with the property owners...I always had a hard time getting permission, but as you get older you just don't seem to have as much of a problem working up to the point...Good Job!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some neat stuff, of course im intrigued by the helmeted head, and good job on the silver!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Loco, keep digging brother!

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some productive outings. Nice finds!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco-Digger you certainly are an avid hunter Good amount of coins in those hunts.Silver is always a joy to find.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice diggin !! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco-Digger you certainly are an avid hunter Good amount of coins in those hunts.Silver is always a joy to find.

Just wish I could dig everyday instead of most weekends and an occassional 2 hr hunt one evening every 2 weeks. I am obsessed with this hobby. Dig to live, live to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread