May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rolls.jpg

Appetizer: $100 dimes

First Course: $30 cents

Main Course: $340 nickels

We'll see how far I get with these. I've got a lot of other stuff to do this weekend too. Thought I'd log the project for your enjoyment though.

Upvote 0

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, that is a great photo. I can stare at rolled up money like that all day.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimes were a bust. 2/3 were solid rolls of 2012. Oh well, wasn't enough rolls to really have a great chance of a silver anyway. On to the fun stuff now.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
U look like a much more organized CRHer than me lol. Good luck with the rest of the rolls (the fun stuff lol).

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U look like a much more organized CRHer than me lol. Good luck with the rest of the rolls (the fun stuff lol).

I'm usually not organized at all. Next time I'll take a picture of the slush-covered wrappers littering the passenger floor area of my car to give you a taste of how I usually operate!

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I need to come to your place for a meal. What time is dinner?:tongue3:

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rolls2.jpg

Didn't see any wheats as I was dumping the rolls out; usually I spot at least one or two. Hopefully they're in there somewhere.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, you open each roll and dump them out all together like that? That would give me a headache.

Good luck though!

HH!

Yeah Im a one roll at a time searcher myself too. Well at least u know they aren't all new rolls like most of the dimes were. GL with your first course search!

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you open each roll and dump them out all together like that? That would give me a headache.

Only when my wife is gone for the weekend.

Sometimes I like to create a huge pile and watch it slowly shrink away. The largest we ever did was $80 in cents last fall. If I do the nickels this way though it will be a much larger pile. I might do those $100 at a time. Depends how long it takes to get these cents done. I haven't even started yet - been putting up window coverings all afternoon. I'm going to make some dinner now and then see if I can't get at it.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... the cents weren't very good.

Out of 60 rolls I got 11 wheats.
allwheatsR.jpg

Ten were common later dates. The highlight was a red 1958.
wheatsR.jpg

I also got a gorgeous red 1959-D. These could've been from the same album dump.
redsO.jpg redsR.jpg

The other wheat was a 1919-S that looks almost haunted.
1919s.jpg

I also got a handful of S mints, a handful of Canadian (but nothing older than the 60's). This was a pretty lame pile.

I did haul over 5 pounds of copper though (26.5%). Which is decent, around my average I'd say.
copper.jpg

I sure hope those nickels can redeem the time I spent on the cents.

To be continued...

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snagged one war nickel (42-P) out of the first $40. Time to call it a night. I'll pick this up tomorrow.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find. I've got about $50 in nickels to search tomorrow so I'm hoping I can find at least one silver in those myself.

WheatWaffle

Bronze Member
Oct 30, 2013
That 1958 is beautiful. Only found one in that good of shape myself, and I've found around 430 total.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally finished the nickels. From 3.4 boxes:

-3 war nickels
-3 buffalo (2 dateless & one nearly dateless 1928)
-4 2009 (3 D & 1 P)
-1983 20 Pence
-5 Euro cent
-5 cent Bahamas
-3 Canadian
DSC09926.jpg

DSC09923.jpg DSC09924.jpg

Nothing terribly exciting, although the 20P is kinda cool. 3 buffs is a lot for $340, but I'd have preferred one decent one. 3 war nickels is about average.

Well... I guess that's another weekend in the books. Time to dump this pile and start over again!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty good with the nickels. I've only found 1 no date Buffalo this year so far but I got lucky with a '45P nic today in the last of the rolls I got for the wknd, which is only my 3rd silver nic of the year but so far I haven't been searching as many nickels as I had planned. So do u at least save the pre-silver '38-'42D Jefferson's too?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions