Weekend tour and find...UPDATED, relic at 18"...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weekend tour and find...UPDATED, relic at 18"...

The area where I work in Germany is culture rich and dates back to the Bronze Age of 3500+ years. I have been detecting here for months and just can not get my coil over anything old so I decided to tour a partially reconstructed Celtic village to get an idea of how they lived. It was an interesting tour, the village has many crafts people recreating commodities of the time with tools and equipment used by the Celts. Here’s the old and the new, in the background is the Altburg Celtic village dating to 170 BC and in the middle is the Schmidtburg Castle dating to 926.
12Aug07castvill.jpg

Schmidtburg Castle.
12Aug07castle.jpg

Reconstructed houses at the Celtic village and community fire. The houses were reconstructed based on the holes in a slate area, was also mined for slate.
12Aug07altvill1.jpg

Some replica tools, spear heads, knives and such made as the Celts did over 2000 years ago by a blacksmith.
12Aug07tools.jpg

I have been detecting areas where the Celts and Romans were for months and finally pulled up something after touring the historic sites. A pendant that I am not sure is religious like so many I have found. Doubt it is older than 200 years.
12Aug07pendO.jpg

Reverse of the pendant. HH, Mike
12Aug07pendR.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weekend tour and find...

House's never looked like that in England until Roman/Saxon times? Round houses over here.

Nice pendant :)

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

I'll be around the castle....

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Nice pictures and beautiful country! Way to go on the pendent.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Amazing find Mike, sweet treasure!

Love your write up and photos, thank you for sharing them!

Smiles!
BDoo

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

just the variety of cultures that resided in the area you detect is interesting i'd be out and exploring every free chance i had. must be a beautiful place to live

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
House's never looked like that in England until Roman/Saxon times? Round houses over here.

Nice pendant :)

What's up with that, I have also seen several examples of round Celtic houses in Germany. These houses are all square and not much different than a house of today as far as basic framework. Heck, part of my 70 yr old house is built similar to these, LOL! I also detected a field where a small village once stood in the early 1500s, found nothing and another field where a small Roman village once stood, found more nothing there as well. I need to scrape 12" off the top for starters, LOL. There is a scraped lot being prepared for houses down the street I might try this evening. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weekend tour and find...UPDATED, relic at 18"...

It was suggested to me that I need to get down 18” before the relics and old finds start coming up, I agree with that as I am starting to understand my old Celtic and Roman areas, the finds are just too deep for a detector. There is an area being developed in the town where I live/work, they are building the street and have scraped the roadway deep to install the sewage system. Detected here for about 1.5 hours this evening and made a find. The area I detected.
15Aug07street.jpg

Found this lead piece at what should be around 18”, thought it was a musket ball. While cleaning it I found it has a hole through it. The hole is tapered and it looks to be a small spindle whorl however, I have not seen any like this type. Here’s one side of it, Wheat cent for size and I found the Wheatie around here as well, it is a 1956.
15Aug07leadO.jpg

The other side, note the hole is larger. Spindle whorl or not, suggestions welcome. HH, Mike
15Aug07leadR.jpg

B

Brush Creek

how far are you away from Wisbaden Germany

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool pendant find Mike! Keep swing coil, are you using a bigfoot or anything similar?

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

:o Great old pendant Mike. Nice set of pictures also! Keep 'em coming....
HH

Desertfox

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That has got to be some awesome digging over there Mike.All the history you never know what might come up.Wish I could join ya....Alway's enjoy your post and find's.Kinda look's like a lion on the pendant....any idea?HH!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great pictures, Mike! Great pendant! Don't have a clue on the round thingy. ??? Hope ya find a bunch a relics in that new dug site!!

Nana :)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

So is there a layer of clay to "stop" the coins from sinking? Most sites here in Ohio the clay layer is down 6-12". 18" inches....wow. I can see why you might not be finding the stuff.

Bob

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bavaria Mike said:
It was suggested to me that I need to get down 18” before the relics and old finds start coming up, I agree with that as I am starting to understand my old Celtic and Roman areas, the finds are just too deep for a detector. There is an area being developed in the town where I live/work, they are building the street and have scraped the roadway deep to install the sewage system. Detected here for about 1.5 hours this evening and made a find. The area I detected.
15Aug07street.jpg

Found this lead piece at what should be around 18”, thought it was a musket ball. While cleaning it I found it has a hole through it. The hole is tapered and it looks to be a small spindle whorl however, I have not seen any like this type. Here’s one side of it, Wheat cent for size and I found the Wheatie around here as well, it is a 1956.
15Aug07leadO.jpg

The other side, note the hole is larger. Spindle whorl or not, suggestions welcome. HH, Mike
15Aug07leadR.jpg

Those are very common over here, come in all shapes & sizes. Dad & I found 4 last time we went out, went in our rubbish pocket. They are probably late medieval in date & used as some kind of weight.

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brush Creek said:
how far are you away from Wisbaden Germany

Hi BC, I live about 1.5 hours away from Wiesbaden, from where I work that is. My family and family name come from a town outside of Wiesbaden. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tsgman said:
Cool pendant find Mike! Keep swing coil, are you using a bigfoot or anything similar?

Hey TSG, I have been using my Minelab XT 70 for the most hunts lately, have 3 coils for it and a 10.5". I have a 12" Hot Shot on the XLT, nice coil. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks all. It was suggested the lead ball is a pulled musket ball from a misfire, my first pulled musket ball after digging hundreds and hundreds of musket balls. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread