Weekend Trip to Virginia... ANOTHER Bucket Lister!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greetings all! My metal detecting buddies and I decided to take a weekend trip to Virginia to hunt one of their old sites. One of my buddies and his brother had pulled two crates of Minie Balls (over 1000 total) out of the area, so we wanted to try hunting it with better machines than they had back then. We arrived at the site after a 7 hour drive and immediately turned on the machines. No more than 5 minutes in and one of my buddies pulls out a dropped Sharps bullet! A few minutes later and I pull out a dropped 3-ringer. After 20 minutes or so, I got a fairly strong brass signal. The owner lets people hunt out there, so I figured it was another shotgun shell. I dig down and see some green brass in the side of the hole. I could see that it had a weird shape to it, so I stuck my digging tool behind it and popped out something awesome! In my hand I saw something that I've been waiting for since I started relic hunting over 20 years ago... a Burnside Carbine casing!! After regaining my breath, I grabbed a toothpick from my box and started scraping the dirt out of it and saw some very deteriorated black powder coming out of the bottom. I knew the bullet had to be in the hole with it! Sure enough, there was another signal just a few inches away, and it was the bullet! I had just found a complete Burnside cartridge! These never come out of the ground in Indiana. Anyway, after a few hours of hunting, we had found a few more minie balls, but no other brass. We didn't find a whole lot on this trip, but the Burnside cartridge was well worth it to me. I'll make another post for the second day hunt as soon as I can get the videos edited!

Attachments

• VAhunt2.jpg
    VAhunt2.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 114
  • VAhunt3.jpg
    VAhunt3.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 94
  • VAhunt4.jpg
    VAhunt4.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 133
  • VAhunt8.jpg
    VAhunt8.jpg