Weigh them out?

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really a CRH but look here now and then. If you were solely a silver hunter and didn't care about dates, proofs, ect; why couldn't you just weigh the roll with an accurate scale to see if it is over the weight of all clads? Seems like it would save alot of work in rolling them back up. Or do you just deliver your coins back to the bank in bags?

Apologize in advance if this has been covered many times before.

Upvote 0

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not really a CRH but look here now and then. If you were solely a silver hunter and didn't care about dates, proofs, ect; why couldn't you just weigh the roll with an accurate scale to see if it is over the weight of all clads? Seems like it would save alot of work in rolling them back up. Or do you just deliver your coins back to the bank in bags?

Apologize in advance if this has been covered many times before.

Some coins may be worn down more than others, so the weight varies just slightly between each coin. Also if there was just one silver in a roll it would be to small of a difference to tell.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coins all are different. I tryed it does'nt work.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd never resort to weighing. I love the classic way to do it. You can call me a clad lover :) and a silver dreamer.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could only spot a really really heavily weighted with silver roll.

Also, you would miss on out this sweet roll I got yesterday.

1 1964
2 40%ers,
2 Susan Bs

OP
OP
vor

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like alot of work rolling up a box of halves. If the bank doesn't charge you to just deliver them back bagged, wouldn't it be worth the time and money to deliver them back that way and just wait a couple days for the deposit to clear?

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been brought up a million times before. If there wasn't 40% it would work. 40% and clad are to close to tell with circulation wear and tear of up to 1-2% mass.

90% = 12.5 g
40% = 11.5 g
CuNi = 11.34 g

some people weigh them to find the 90%, but in the end it is just a waste of time because you would open all the rolls anyways to find the 40%....

Bigheed

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a cheap digital scale, 1,000g capacity, 0.1g accuracy... bought it off ebay for only $7.19 free shipping. of course it is not too accurate, but i know this for sure:
you cannot detect 40% silver halves with the digital scale. a half dollar roll weighs anywhere from 224.0-226.0g and everything inbetween, chances are with weight differences, you'll never be able to tell. dimes are even smaller, so forget that, the scale is only good at seeing if the roll is short. the rolls are never over.
hope this helps
buff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread