Weird and this will never happen to me again...2 V nickels!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I get a signal that is pretty jumpy and I should walk by but the tone is extremely good so I dug it.
I come up with an old rusty bottle cap of some kind but on one side most of it is rusted away and I see sticking to the inside of the top some sort of thick piece of something but I have never seen this before.
I dig it out and my Propointer says it is metal.
Can't see anything on either side, too much dirt so I figure a slug of some kind but just in case I grab a twig and start scraping the dirt off of one side.
Nothing at first but eventually I start to see something coming through around the edge...the words United States and then more in the middle a part of a wreath!
I start scraping the other side and soon enough I start to see an image in the middle coming through I thought was a bird at first but eventually I see it is a bust and some stars.
I scrape off the part on the bottom and see a date...1901.
Now I am looking at this thing and recognize it as a V nickel but it is way too thick.

I look closer an realize it is two V nickels stuck together!
Well I'll be!

A little later I took a break and took a few pics of both sides...

...then I tried to split them open hoping the insides were protected and were clean and in good shape.
A little tap and they opened up and for the most part my wish came true...most of the surface on both coins were clean and shiny with a little crud on the edges and a bit of rust from that bottle cap.

At home I cleaned them up a bit more, I scrubbed the dirty sides just to bring out a few details....

On the cleaner sides I scrubbed as much of the dirt off as I could but then I stopped....they look good enough to me now and maybe I will soak them in some olive oil or something and pick at them a bit but these will probably be the best condition V nickels I will ever dig.
These two sides, anyway.

Weird signals, sometimes ya just gotta dig them because you never know.

Upvote 27

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
“2 Vs or not 2 Vs?”....That is the question....or was it “to dig or not to dig?” You answered both!

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks all...some better daylight pics...

Attachments

• photostudio_1510665356405.jpg
    photostudio_1510665356405.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 66

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1st double V find I've ever seen. Nothing better than pulling 2 keepers at a time. Congrats :occasion14:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's unreal. Who woulda thunk?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the V- Nickels! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your 2 "V"s. Its always nice to find a couple of coins together, but stuck together like that is really different.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks again.

All older nickels I have dug have been extra dark and dirty.
I have dug a few other V's in the past, two were so worn I was lucky to be able to ID them, all the others had to be scrubbed and always had totally pock marked and dimpled surfaces.
These two protected faces are way different, they look like normal, smooth, shiny, more modern nickels that were buried for just a short time.
Unless I go into a coin shop and buy some I doubt I will ever own any of these coins that will look as good.

Attachments

• photostudio_1510829692108.jpg
    photostudio_1510829692108.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Jerkie

Jan 18, 2016
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta IMPACT Pro
Garrett AT Pinpointer
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is just to cool!!! What are the odds?? Congrats!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome! Those babies are pretty too...

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some of the nicest dug v nickles i have ever seen! crazy how a coin laying on top of another preserves the 2 faces so well. Congrats on the Nice Nickles!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread