weird black rocks

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on our land we have two creeks. one that runs intermittently and one that runs all the time. what I would like to know is why the rocks in the big creek are all covered in black. I thought maybe a forest fire, but even the undersides are black. this is a coating on the rocks they are not naturally black.

OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BB! That helps a lot although doesn't cover gemstones. Got mica, silver, gold, iron, cesium, quite a few different things. I do know from research that we've got two beryl mines nearby, tourmaline, muscovite, corundum and zircon. Very highly mineralized, quartz has a lot of yellow/orange mineralization. And is seems every other rock I pick up has garnet. Some deep red, some bright orange (beautiful). Also have galena ore.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on our land we have two creeks. one that runs intermittently and one that runs all the time. what I would like to know is why the rocks in the big creek are all covered in black. I thought maybe a forest fire, but even the undersides are black. this is a coating on the rocks they are not naturally black.

TxFlag is correct. It's manganese oxide.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread