Weird flint piece. Might be a geofact but thought I should check

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to think that eventually I will find something that I can share here that I know what it is before posting. haha. Anyway you guys have been very helpful to me and so I hope you don't mind me posting another what-is-it. :)

This was found in a spot where I have found a couple other worked pieces by a drainage pipe that was dug up a couple years ago. The pits in the piece seem unusual. I am used to seeing pits in flint that I find around here but usually it looks different. This piece almost makes me think of what a nutting stone would look like if it weren't so small and if they were ever made of flint which I do not know. Also there are a few really-really small pits as well as if poked with something. There are some chips along the edge on the side with the pit but nothing that would ordinarily make me think anything of it. The side opposite the pit very smooth (probably natural).

Huh-2015-04-07-Img_6197SSS.jpg

Huh-2015-04-07-Img_6193SSS.jpg

Huh-2015-04-07-Img_6193C.jpg

Huh-2015-04-07-Img_6194SSS.jpg

Huh-2015-04-07-Img_6196SSS.jpg

What do you think, artifact or just another piece that makes us marvel at nature's creativity? :)

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly fire popped from heat treating

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That is some interesting material for sure.

The size of the piece and that nibbling on the edges suggest to me it could possibly be a simple uni-face scraper. I would have picked it up too.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pot is definitely a fire pop, and could be from a forest fire or from clearing land to make into fields. The piece looks very polished all over and I would have thought it was found in water. That tumbling action also makes edges appear ad if they were worked by man into a side knife or scraper, but likely not the case with water finds. So I'd say, it's a could-be, but not a definitely. Never stop looking!!

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah... I had not considered fire as the cause of the pit but it makes perfect sense. I will keep this in my maybe/oddity pile and keep on looking. Thank you for looking and your thoughts!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been worked but is broken and I agree with the fire pop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions