Weird Weak Wheat?

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Went and hit the same old yard again.? I really need to get a new spot!? Dug some bad signals and managed to get 5 Wheaties at 5.5"? One of them is a 1930D I think, but the 3 and D are weak.? The Liberty on the left is also that way, except for the T and Y.? It is also unusually shiny, except for some of the high spots.? There is also a "grain" to it that runs diagonally from lower left to top right.? The pictures of it can look strange depending on the lighting.? Anyone else find Wheaties like this?

Attachments

• weak-wheat.JPG
    weak-wheat.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 468
Upvote 0

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my wheats come out really dirty. Nice Find!!

OP
OP
S

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Hey muddyknees, congrats on 100 posts!!! ;D I should have named myself dirtypants LOL...

Joe, most of my wheats come out really crusted with dirt too, but this one isn't. I found another like this years ago but can't locate it now.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
I have a lot of older coins that range from 1890's to 1980's that were found near a copper smelter. The ground is so acidic or alkaline that the coins have eroded to near nothingness. I have some that you can tell what they are, but there is absolutely nothing left of them, they are paper thin. I have some that the side that was down is gone and the side that was up, and later covered up, shows only normal wear. Doesn't that make you want to make a mud pie and eat it? ;D ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I have seen several wheats that have what I call " light strikes" in that the dies that made them probablly was worn and the letters are not as crisp as some newer ones. Not that unusual but interesting just the same. JIM

R

rvbvetter

Once, i recovered six wheats in one hole, and 3 or 4 of them still had some luster from the mint, left on them. After looking them over, i could see that they had been in a stack in the ground. Which had helped to preserve the inside ones.
Did you recheck the hole? Yours might have came from a stack.
On the grain, I don't have a clue. HH

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hey SugarSand. I agree with Jim. I think a lot of the streaks and weakness are caused by problems in the dies when the coins are made. Any coin with that much shine was up against something. I agree, check that hole again. Congrats...Lance

OP
OP
S

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree there was probably a problem with the die or strike. This was dug with one of those perfect plugs. I cut a plug to the full depth of my Lesche, and when I flipped up the hinged plug there was a cent sized root mass on the bottom of the plug. Looked in the hole and there was this cent lying flat with the shiny side up. Those roots must have been neutral and preserved it. I remember years ago digging similar plugs, and on a couple you could see the coin image in the mass of fine roots that were pressed against the cent.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Cool find! I remember theres a name for that kind of toning with the lines on it like that. Anyone know what thats called?

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Here's some pics (finally got a camera today). Both are of a clad quarter. Is it very badly corroded away, but it is like many of the pennies from the same area and is larger and easier to see.

Attachments

• 000_0018.JPG
    000_0018.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 259

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found many of these cents with lines on them. They usually have a nice patina on them, and are always pre 1930. Most are from the teens and early '20's.

M

mtnman

nice find,it looks like a 1922 weak d to me check a coin book it could be worth 15.00 or more in the cond it is in,,if it had no mint mark it would worth more...jesse

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread