Weird Wheat in Grandmas Coins and More from the Chips

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi all,

Boy, how great is it to have nice weather again? It sends the locals to the parks, where they replenish the treasure in the wood chips!

Got out for two semi-short hunts this weekend. First, I stopped by grandmas house to pick her brain (she's lived in the same town for 80+ years, and is better by far than any library). After securing some names for a reported old picnic ground used by the local churches, firefighters and various other groups, she remembered her penny jar. After getting it down off her high closet shelf, and blowing the 1/8th inch of dust off the top layer, we spent a great two hours sorting through it. Ended up with something like 60 wheats (will post the specifics later), including the really weird silver colored 56D. This is definitely NOT a coin, but what the heck is it?

After leaving her house, I hit the wood chips in the local park and came up with my first Sac dollar. Ten minutes and 30 feet later, hit my second. Must have been the same kid. After a few clad coins, found the flat brass "token" pictured to the left of the Sac dollars. Back side is smooth.

On Sunday, I got up early and drove to the next town south. Hit two wood chip areas and found the two crosses, the little feet pin, the broken earring and more clad. All in all a fun weekend, plus I got a whole bunch of wheats to sort through in the evenings!

Hope you all enjoy the pics.

MP

Attachments

• 100_0311.JPG
    100_0311.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,126
  • 100_0313.JPG
    100_0313.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 100_0329.JPG
    100_0329.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 100_0328.JPG
    100_0328.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,078
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
And the chip finds. Any idea on the stamps on the cross? Pewter?

MP

Attachments

• 100_0331.JPG
    100_0331.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,174
  • 100_0332.JPG
    100_0332.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,303

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great finds MP, very weird penny. Could be the prototype to that spy coin that was in the news a while back ;)

kenb

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have nickel plated a couple of pennies at my work place. This is eactly what they looked liked. Used them for April fools jokes. Told the mark they must be rare steel cents. Made for a few good laughs

Ed D.

OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi Kenb, Hi Born2:

I haven't heard about the spy penny, Kenb. Pulling my leg?

Born, this one is definitely not a coated penny. It's too fat, has an "oversized" rim and almost looks like its two piece. Here's the funny thing....it was in the penny jar because she got is as change years ago. Guess no one looks that closely at pennies anymore.

MP

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can definitely see on the wheat side were the coin comes apart. That chip would help you open it. You should see if there is more treasure inside.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the bottom, on the back, is the gap for opening. Like with a tiny screw sriver or fingernail. Might be a rare stamp in it!!

OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Kenb, thanks for the link to the spy coin post (thanks to Bergie, too for original post). Now I'm kind of freaked out. First Bootsrap and his pentagram rings, now my possible "big brother" wheatie.

MP

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two ideas...that is, if the coin is not two piece. If it is hollow or comes apart, then disregard my ideas.

1. I have heard of pennies being struck on the tags that used to be on mint bags rather than the actual planchets they were intended for.

2. It is possible that this cent was struck on a nickel planchet by accident--which would also explain the odd thickness. It might also explain the rim that seems to have spread upward and overtop of the sides of the coin. The collar might have precipitated this.

Regards,

Buckleboy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
It looks like it has a jewelry band around it.. like what you would see for a coin coin so you can wear it around your neck.. looks like the loop was broken off... Why anyone would plate it is beyond me unless it was a birthyear coin??

MonkeyBoy

OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
All good stuff, guys. Thanks for helping out. Buckle and Monkey, I'll try to take a better photo (showing the edge). It sure looks two piece, but I don't know for sure. Buckle, if struck on a bag seal or nickel planchette, are we talking $ or $$?

MP

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
Nice find MP

Love going to grandmas house.

I have one of those odd wheats too. I received mine from my father along with a bunch of other wheats.
I'll be interested to see what it is. I forgot about mine until I saw your pic's.

I've included a pic of the one I have, hopefully it'll help

Attachments

• Dsc00167.jpg
    Dsc00167.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 727
  • Dsc00168.jpg
    Dsc00168.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 716

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely a band around the coin for suspension with the loop broken off. The coin is plated to make it look better in jewelry form.

OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hey 3searchin, thats it! Sooooo, does yours look like its two piece?

Teddy, thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see if I can learn more.

Lcutler, thanks for the help. I must say that this is NOT a coin....what looks like a band around the outside edge appears to be one half of the "coin" folded over....I think that the spot where the "band" looks broken is due to someone trying to pry the thing apart (probably to take out the spy chip.....I'm not being paranoid!).

MP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread