Weird Wheat Penny.........need help

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
While cataloging my wheat pennies into a spread sheet I came across this one. The last number on the date is missing (195?)! It appears that the number has not been worn off or mechanically removed. I read somewhere that in 1955 there were several errors on pennies minted in Philadelphia. Maybe this is the case. Is this a known mint error? Can anyone give me a WAG on what the value might be?
Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Pete

Attachments

• 195X.JPG
    195X.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 770
  • 195XX.JPG
    195XX.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 687

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you with the value question, but it was likely the result of a grease-filled die.

Regards,

Buckleboy

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
My opinion on value would be not much over the value of a "normal" Wheat Cent in the same grade. Maybe $1
Interesting but not really worth much. My opinion is to save it as an error and try to find more.

VPR

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Better check with Crusader for he knows all those old Roman coins.

Maybe it was a Cassius I pence back in 195 AD. Glad to see that America is catching up with Europe with the old coins... bout time.

Probably a filled die... not real unusual. Sometimes the die is deliberately filled and then the filling breaks out later. i found a Mercury dime like in Fine condition which had a "2" and a "1" in the same position from 1942. What happen that the old die from the previous year 1941 was filled in that digit position and a 2 was carved into the die for the current year. Later the filling in the 1 started flaking out and left both digits showing.

Thanks for sharing the neat looking coin

HH

Sanat

OP
OP
Yeasty

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Thanks guys. I learn something new here every day.

Pete

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire
can't help you with specifics, but I'm not sure about the grease filled die theory. When that happens you usually see other elements of the design affected. Yours seems limited to the last "5" of the date. If it was mine, I'd take it to a coin dealer for an opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread