Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting an old cellar hole and found 2 dog tags about 20' apart from each other. Didn't think much about it until I cleaned them off and saw they were two consecutively numbered tags from 1961. What's the odds of that? Lol
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422847009.436248.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 8

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's pretty cool. Would they be from the same dog?

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
No, they would not be from the same dog . . . . the people had 2 dogs and paid for their licenses at the same time and got consecutive registration numbers

That's pretty cool. Would they be from the same dog?

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dog tags were probably from two dogs belonging to the same family and the tags were purchased at the same time.
I was born and raised on a farm. We always had stock dogs. My Dad always told me that a good dog wouldn't die at home. On the farm our dogs were never captive animals, they had the run of the farm. When I was a small child, we had two highly thought of dogs that each when the time came just disappeared. After searching for the first one several days after its disappearance, his body was located about about a half mile from the house where there was a grassy area with a natural spring that formed a small pond. When the second disappeared, this was the first place I looked and sure enough I found his body there, also. Although he said he didn't, I had the feeling that my Dad had found the dog dead and carried him to that spot.
When I was six years old, I was given an English Shepard pup. He was a wonderful, intelligent dog and anytime that I was at home on the farm for the next sixteen years he was by my side. Then one morning I awoke and he was no where to be found. I went to the spring and his body was in the same place that the other dogs were located. They had died before he was born, so no connection there.
Good Luck & HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The dog tags were probably from two dogs belonging to the same family and the tags were purchased at the same time.
I was born and raised on a farm. We always had stock dogs. My Dad always told me that a good dog wouldn't die at home. On the farm our dogs were never captive animals, they had the run of the farm. When I was a small child, we had two highly thought of dogs that each when the time came just disappeared. After searching for the first one several days after its disappearance, his body was located about about a half mile from the house where there was a grassy area with a natural spring that formed a small pond. When the second disappeared, this was the first place I looked and sure enough I found his body there, also. Although he said he didn't, I had the feeling that my Dad had found the dog dead and carried him to that spot.
When I was six years old, I was given an English Shepard pup. He was a wonderful, intelligent dog and anytime that I was at home on the farm for the next sixteen years he was by my side. Then one morning I awoke and he was no where to be found. I went to the spring and his body was in the same place that the other dogs were located. They had died before he was born, so no connection there.
Good Luck & HH

I'd test that water....

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I like finding dog license, they are one of my favorite finds.

I once found 7 in the same hole. They dated from 09-41. It was in an old school yard and Im guessing one of the kids had a collection on a string, and lost them.

I've never had an old dog wonder off to die, but I believe that happened to a couple of our old cats. I never found them.

A dog story... We had an old dog that was part Husky and part yellow Lab. It got to the point where it could not be trusted around kids or strangers. So I put up a 20x20 kennel fence for it, instead of letting it run loose. It was a good watch dog. Our lane is about a quarter of a mile long, and as soon as a car left the black top and started up our gravel lane, the dog would begin barking. We always new when someone was coming. So, one day it was threatening a thunder storm as I was getting home from work. The ridge cap on my barn was leaking, and I would only remember that after a rain. That day I thought about it before the rain. So I sat up a ladder and climbed up on top the roof. After investigating the problem I realized I need a hammer, so I headed for the ladder to crawl down. Getting on the ladder wasn't real easy. As I was sitting there trying to decide how to do it, the dog started barking. I thought.... cool, someone is coming, I will have them hold the ladder or bring the hammer up the ladder to me. The dog continued to bark, and sure enough I soon seen my wife driving up the lane. She pulled in the driveway and parked just below me. She got out of the car, looked up and said " When did the dog die?" I said what? And she repeated it. I looked over, and sure enough the dog was lying in the middle of the kennel, dead. " Just now" I said. Imagine that

OP
OP
RobRieman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like finding dog license, they are one of my favorite finds.

I once found 7 in the same hole. They dated from 09-41. It was in an old school yard and Im guessing one of the kids had a collection on a string, and lost them.

I've never had an old dog wonder off to die, but I believe that happened to a couple of our old cats. I never found them.

A dog story... We had an old dog that was part Husky and part yellow Lab. It got to the point where it could not be trusted around kids or strangers. So I put up a 20x20 kennel fence for it, instead of letting it run loose. It was a good watch dog. Our lane is about a quarter of a mile long, and as soon as a car left the black top and started up our gravel lane, the dog would begin barking. We always new when someone was coming. So, one day it was threatening a thunder storm as I was getting home from work. The ridge cap on my barn was leaking, and I would only remember that after a rain. That day I thought about it before the rain. So I sat up a ladder and climbed up on top the roof. After investigating the problem I realized I need a hammer, so I headed for the ladder to crawl down. Getting on the ladder wasn't real easy. As I was sitting there trying to decide how to do it, the dog started barking. I thought.... cool, someone is coming, I will have them hold the ladder or bring the hammer up the ladder to me. The dog continued to bark, and sure enough I soon seen my wife driving up the lane. She pulled in the driveway and parked just below me. She got out of the car, looked up and said " When did the dog die?" I said what? And she repeated it. I looked over, and sure enough the dog was lying in the middle of the kennel, dead. " Just now" I said. Imagine that

That is a unique story for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread